Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts about fuel milage and a lot of people upset that they do not get the mileage that is on the window sticker. The dealer told me that the sticker was just an estimate of the mileage and not the mileage you can expect. Anyway. I liked everything the big tow and off road packages had but I did think twice about the lower gearing. Now I have seen people say that there is no real difference in mileage between the two gearings(perhaps made up by the tire size of the off road package) but I have seen 05 SE trucks that had the big tow but not the off road and the 18" wheels that come witht he SE's. These trucks confused me because I thought you could not have just big tow without the off road...

Anyway I'm losing track of my own post. What would be involved in switching the rear gears from a non big tow-off road to a truck that has the lower gearing? I did a minor search but did not come up with any hits that answered my questions.

I know the lower gearing is usefull in crawling and towing but was it really needed in the "Average Joe" titan?

Thanks.

Jim in PA

PS: I actually tried to buy a set of the SE's 18" wheels and tires for normal street use along with the 17" that came stock and the dealer said that the different wheel-tire sizes would throw off the ABS computer and cause braking problems. IS this a load of steaming doo doo or is there a real basis for their concern?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
[quote="Beakerstoy" IS this a load of steaming doo doo or is there a real basis for their concern?[/quote]

Yes, it is!
As long as the front and rear wheels/tires are the same everything will be OK.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
From everything I've read, there seems to be little difference in gas mileage between the 2 gear ratios. Most of the differences you'll see people reporting are from 4x2 to 4x4.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so easy in a 4X4

I was thinking tonight (can you smell the smoke?)
If the difference is in the rear gearing, then the difference is also in the front. If I was to change the rear to the higher ratio then I would have to do the same to the front or else 4X4 mode would me all FUBAR. Oh well I'll just inflate to 40 PSI, do my intake and exhaust mods and only drive it like I stole it on a part time basis...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the gear change front and rear would run about $1500 at a quality shop. I think the real difference in milage would be less than 2 mpg. For every $1000 you spend in gas you could save $142. So your break even point is at about $10000 in gas (at $2.00 per gal you break even at 70000 miles) if you always get 2 mpg better which I doubt. Figure in opertunity cost for the money spent and you never get ahead.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Unless you want to do the math out to run different size tires front and rear you HAVE to keep the same ratio in the front and rear of the 4x4s. Just think of what would happen to your transfer case if the front tires were spinning at a drastically different speed than the rears.

"PS: I actually tried to buy a set of the SE's 18" wheels and tires for normal street use along with the 17" that came stock and the dealer said that the different wheel-tire sizes would throw off the ABS computer and cause braking problems. IS this a load of steaming doo doo or is there a real basis for their concern?"

The difference in tire diameter of the 2 sizes is actually very small, The offroad tires are 285/70-17s with a diameter of about 32.7 inches and a circumference of 102.8 inches. The non offroad tires are 265/70-18s with a diameter of about 32.6 inches and a circumference of about 102.4 inches. The difference in revolutions per mile is only 2 with the off road tires going around 617 times every mile and the non off road tires going around 619 times. Assuming your speedo is dead on accurate with the offroad tires at 60mph, the other tires would give you a reading of 59.8mph(that's a .3% difference). If that is enough to throw off the abs computer, then we would only get about 50 miles off of our tires before we had to replace them, or the slighest air pressure difference in the tires would screw things up real bad. :D

Someone feel free to correct my math if I am wrong, that is more figuring than I have done if probably 10 years.

·
Registered
870 Posts
JetTech said:
From everything I've read, there seems to be little difference in gas mileage between the 2 gear ratios. Most of the differences you'll see people reporting are from 4x2 to 4x4.
If I could swap out the gears and get a big boost in mpg I'd probably do it. I've got a couple sets of 3.54s, 2 4.10s, and 3 3.73s sitting on a shelf in the garage, and that is just the Dana 44 stuff. Of course every one of those ratios would probably hurt my mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DANA 44 stuff

I read in another post that the DANA stuff is not "swappable" with our stuff. Something about too much Nissan and not enough DANA involved with the design...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lower gears / gas mileage

I've got the Big Tow package and 4x4. My overall mileage (90% highway) is 13.5. I'd be interested in knowing what other people WITH THESE SAME OPTIONS are getting.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a big tow offroad 4x4 CC and I get about 13 running back and forth to work, only about 30 miles a week. On the highway, if I keep it under 75 I get around 14.5, on country roads crusing at around 50, I've seen as high as 17. Overall for the 12k miles I have on my truck I think I'm averaging right at 14 overall. I did the plywood utilitrak el-cheapo bed cover, but I haven't put enough miles on it yet to see if it makes much of a difference, although the first highway tank of gas was about 1.5 mpg higher than I was getting without it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'll wait for aftermarket gears for our diffs. I do want the lower gearing, but not at Nissans price. Gears alone would run around $800 for fr/rr diffs from Nissan. Plus, you'll have more gearing selections when someone does eventually make us some gears, although I wouldn't want anything much lower than the 3:36 BT/OR ratio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts