Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who knows but I'm starting to really doubt it is after seeing some of the oil samples from the Endurance Engine. As of yet I haven't seen a bad one or even one with eyebrow raising wear numbers, no matter what kind of oil that was used. So that's my reason for starting this thread, to see if synthetics really are worth spending the extra bucks on. Kudos to Nissan and their engine dept. for making such a robust and worthy engine to reside in a truck called the TITAN!!!

This is really hard for me because I've been a hardcore synthetic man for almost 20 years now, using everything from Amsoil to Mobil 1. I would hate to know the money I've spent on synthetic oils in the past, perhaps back then it was worth it, but today is it really worth it and are we truly getting our monies worth??? So here's what I'm trying.

I just dumped out 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 and 2 quarts of Redline 5W-30 at 4486 miles. Estimated cost for that synthetic combination, including a Nissan oil filter, is $50.00. I installed a new Nissan oil filter and dumped in 7 qts. of Motorcraft 5W-30 for a total estimated cost of $15.00. I chose the Motorcraft oil because it's a semi-sythetic and a bargain at $1.42/qt. From past oil samples the 5W-20 and 5W-30 Motorcraft oils have been doing excellent in oil samples, this I know thanks to Bobs the oil guy site, and its many members sending in their samples.

I'll run this oil for 4500 miles, to keep the total use the same, and send in a sample. I'm also going to do this for the oil I just drained so we can compare numbers. I will make sure to abuse this oil as much as I did the synthetic to keep the use/abuse environment as close as possible.

I'm going to guess right now the Motorcraft oil does just as well if not better then the synthetic oils I just drained. Time will tell.....

Any and all comments are welcome and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi JetTech,

Looks like an interesting experiment. I'm looking forward to the results. I just changed over to the Mobil1 at 1000 miles and was just wondering tonight whether it was the best thing to do, even thinking about going back to conventional oil in another 3,000 miles or less. Thanks to guys like yourself we can make better informed decisions.

I keep synthetic in all my lawn equipment since with all the small numbers, they tend to be neglected as far as oil changes. With the synthetic, some like a snowblower just run better with less bogging. All seem to lose less oil from burning.

Even with the samples coming back the same, there is still the performance issue? What I mean is the engine has less friction?

Thanks,

Chief

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Awesome test/review idea JT! This will make for some very informative reading!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief said:
Hi JetTech,

Looks like an interesting experiment. I'm looking forward to the results. I just changed over to the Mobil1 at 1000 miles and was just wondering tonight whether it was the best thing to do, even thinking about going back to conventional oil in another 3,000 miles or less. Thanks to guys like yourself we can make better informed decisions.

I keep synthetic in all my lawn equipment since with all the small numbers, they tend to be neglected as far as oil changes. With the synthetic, some like a snowblower just run better with less bogging. All seem to lose less oil from burning.

Even with the samples coming back the same, there is still the performance issue? What I mean is the engine has less friction?

Thanks,

Chief
Hi chief, power and efficiency, good question....I'm going to keep a close eye on my fuel mileage during this time but as to a power loss???? Perhaps a little, the reason I believe it will be little to none is the Motorcraft oil is a semi-synthetic, therefore it "should" be very close to the 100% synthetics in frictional/parasitic losses.

As far as the lawnmowers and small engines benefiting from synthetics.....that's a fact!!! Anyone who has a small engine that is burning oil or sluggish will benefit from dumping in Mobil 1 10W-30 into the crankcase. It will clean the engine internals and keep the rings from sticking. I've cured several small engine oil burning issues by just changing the oil to Mobil 1 in it. After several hours of running the oil fog disappears and the engine runs smoother. Nice simple trick to revive small engines...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have used both syn blend Quakerstate and Mobile one. With the syn oil I noticed a slight improvement in mpg over standard oil and my comsumption dropped to just about zero from 3/4 of a quart between changes. The syn blend seemed to be equal to the mobile one.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I also use Mobil 1 in my Titan. I switched to Mobil 1 in my wife's van which is at 137,000 miles and noticed a pretty nice change in MPG and the smoothness of the motor. The same thing happened when I started using Mobil 1 in my 1981 BMW 528i which had 290,000 miles (yes 290,000), what a difference! I noticed in the Titan, I used Penzoil for the first two oil changes, that after I switched to Mobil 1 the vibration was significantly less, aside from having to change it at 3,000. I could feel the truck's floorboard vibrate when it got to 2,500 using the pennzoil. Regardless I will still use Mobil 1 most likely in the Titan.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
[quote="JetTech

Anyone who has a small engine that is burning oil or sluggish will benefit from dumping in Mobil 1 10W-30 into the crankcase. It will clean the engine internals and keep the rings from sticking. ...[/quote]

Yeah, the best part is the engine usually takes less than a qt. to fill :D :D :D

Chief

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am normally very religious about changing my oil every 3k miles regardless of how its driven. I'm running mobil in my titan and I've overshot my oil change by about 1500 miles and I'm really not worried about it. With the synthetic, I'm probably going to switch to a 6k interval anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an added note, this test is based on several factors, number one being oil sample results. If the semi-synthetic sample doesn't come back as good or better then the 100% synthetic oil sample then to me it's not worth it. The other factor is economics, which is the basis for me doing this in the first place. Trying to figure out if the high dollar oils are truly worth the extra cost over a reasonably priced semi-synthetic. I'm anxious to see the results probably more then anyone else. It will probably take about 3 months for me to go 4500 miles on this oil. Ugggggggg.....

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
strick9 said:
Road trip!!!!!!!
JT, Pittsburgh abd back would give you a good start!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Just do a lot of dynos and you'll get to that 4500 mark real soon with lots of data. :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
JetTech said:
Who knows but I'm starting to really doubt they are after seeing some of the oil samples from the Endurance Engine. As of yet I haven't seen a bad one or even one with eyebrow raising wear numbers, no matter what kind of oil that was used. So that's my reason for starting this thread, to see if synthetics really are worth spending the extra bucks on. Kudos to Nissan and their engine dept. for making such a robust and worthy engine to reside in a truck called the TITAN!!!

This is really hard for me because I've been a hardcore synthetic man for almost 20 years now, using everything from Amsoil to Mobil 1. I would hate to know the money I've spent on synthetic oils in the past, perhaps back then it was worth it, but today is it really worth it and are we truly getting our monies worth??? So here's what I'm trying.

I just dumped out 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 and 2 quarts of Redline 5W-30 at 4486 miles. Estimated cost for that synthetic combination, including a Nissan oil filter, is $50.00. I installed a new Nissan oil filter and dumped in 7 qts. of Motorcraft 5W-30 for a total estimated cost of $15.00. I chose the Motorcraft oil because it's a semi-sythetic and a bargain at $1.42/qt. From past oil samples the 5W-20 and 5W-30 Motorcraft oils have been doing excellent in oil samples, this I know thanks to Bobs the oil guy site, and its many members sending in their samples.

I'll run this oil for 4500 miles, to keep the total use the same, and send in a sample. I'm also going to do this for the oil I just drained so we can compare numbers. I will make sure to abuse this oil as much as I did the synthetic to keep the use/abuse environment as close as possible.

I'm going to guess right now the Motorcraft oil does just as well if not better then the synthetic oils I just drained. Time will tell.....

Any and all comments are welcome and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!
The Endurance seems to be a very very clean running engine. Once I hit 6k of miles, I will switch from the crappy QuakerState Oil the dealer is using to my Amsoil 5w30. But the only reason really I use Synthetic is because of extended drain interval. I drive so much, that I would be changing my oil once a month. So this makes it easier on me as well. I will only do 6k of mile changes for now, maybe push it more after I have the oil tested.

I have seen cars running with regular oil last a very long time doing 3k oil changes. But the bad thing about that they have more wear and more varnish buildup in the engine compared to synthetics.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally after waiting a week here's the baseline oil sample we'll use in this comparison. The iron was a bit high, the viscosity was right on the bottom of the 30wt. scale and the flashpoint was borderline. This was a mix of 5 qts. Mobil 1 0W-40 and 2 Qts. of Redline 5W-30, the high moly content comes from the Redline. After looking at this I don't think I'll be putting anymore Redline oil in my engine.... 8O

Now we have to wait for another 4K miles to pass before we'll know how the Motorcraft 5W-30 does. I like the idea of a ROAD TRIP!!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, I just re-read my last post and it appears I may be a little too critical of how this oil performed. It wasn't a "Bad" oil sample by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't as good as I was hoping. Here's an oil sample I had done on my last Titan using Mobil 1 0W-40 (all 7 qts.) and going an extra 1K miles. The readings for this oil are in the 3rd column. If you start to compare them to my current oil sample you'll see that the M1 0W-40 did a better job unmixed then it did with Redline mixed into it.

Here it is:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
jet tech, so what is your favorite oil so far? would you recomend mobil 1 0w-40 or mobil 1 5w-30?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
jet tech, so what is your favorite oil so far? would you recomend mobil 1 0w-40 or mobil 1 5w-30?
I would have to say that so far the Mobil 1 0W-40 has done the best in any oil sample I've seen. But who knows, maybe the Semi-synthetic motorcraft oil will do just as well. That's the teaser right now until I can get another 4K miles on my Titan. I've got 500 on that oil so far so 4K more to go.......where to go, where to go???? Hey I know, maybe a trip to m4ck's place so he can present me with those beautifully tested grill inserts of his.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
LOL too late to get them bud. You see I opted for the ones that you have to cut out the emblem for. That means they will be staying on permanantly. That is unless you buy me an entire new grill. LOL
m4ck

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well all I couldn't take it anymore on the Motorcraft oil. I know I was going to run it for 4500 miles to compare it to the Mobil 1 0W-40, but not knowing how it's doing kept me from going the full distance, along with a bunch of other things. Like for instance I've had a dozen dyno pulls done, it sees redline at least a dozen times a day, the headers I installed, etc. etc. So I dumped it.

Thanks to getsomeZ28 for bringing me up to date on Mobil 1's latest offering I chose to put in their 10W-30 Extended Protection oil. I read a virgin oil analysis of this oil, over on Bobistheoilguy site, and it looks awesome on paper. We'll see how it does in the real world.

I did take a sample of the Motorcraft oil so I can send it in and see how it did. Fingers crossed here BIG TIME.. I had 3344 miles on it so hopefully it did well. One more comment I have is if the Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-synthetic did really well, and was able to withstand the abuse I just put it through, then I'll be going back to it after I run this M1 for a while. I should get the results back sometime next week so we'll see how it did.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Why not M1 5w-30

Hey JetTech,

Re: your '04 2nd & 3rd oil analysis'

Looking at your 2nd & 3rd oil analysis, the M1 5w-30 looks as good as the 0w-40 except for the Boron, which was a little higher.

Anyway, it seems that once you ran the M1 0W-40 around twice as far, and had similar results, the conclusion was that it was way better than the M1 5w-30. [This might not be your conclusion, but the legend around TT is that 0w-40 is far superior].

So what I'm wondering is if you were to have changed to M1 5w-30 again instead of the 10w-40, and ran for the same amount of miles, perhaps it would have been as good as the 0w-40's results.

So my question, is there something I'm not catching here, or is the jury still out, so to speak?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts