Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just info for anyone interested...

I recently changed the diff fluid on both the front and rear to synethic (AMSOIL 80W-90) and would recommend doing that if you're living in climates like mine. Holy smokes, the temp dropped down to -30C (-22F) and the Titan wasn't shifting well at all. Having read some of this thread, I thought mine was screwed. I had Nissan change the fluid - too cold to do anything outside... Anyway, they had a look at the regular stuff and it was fine. I had about 10000 km (6000 miles) at the time.

We had a few -20C (-4F) temps recently and the truck runs great now from the start. I'd recommend changing to synthetic if your area gets as cold as it does here.

BTW, the Titan is awesome in Canadian winter climates. I amazes me how well the VDC works too.

Just got myself the Nissan grille guard center piece and some off-road lights for Christmas. Got the grille guard on - froze my *** off! Lights will be mounted, hopefully on a day above 20F.

Cheers,

TDZE

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have 85w/140 semi-synthetic in my rear diff. No freezing temps here in So Cal but when I haul/tow a load it will be ready to withstand the high temps. IMO, the best full synthetic gear oil would probably be a 75W/140.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks for the headsup TDZE :!:

Chief

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Synthetic Spelling...

Chief said:
Thanks for the headsup TDZE :!:

Chief
My pleasure, Chief. I don't know if the issue I had applies to anyone except other "Arctic" Titan owners. I'd love to share some of the nice cold dense air...

I just realized my SYNTHETIC spelling is terrible. Geez.

Thanks, Caltitan, for the info too. I went with the advice of the AMSOIL dealer here plus the '04 manual. He had the Synthetic 2000 75W-140 (got it right this time) is good, but for super cold like here, the 80W-90 would be best for me. Perhaps I was gullible :?:

Cheers,

TDZE

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Not sure where you live TDZE08, but from the temps I'm guessing Antartica maybe? :D

In the Northern part of Pa, it occasionally dips to zero F, but usually it's more like 20. Summertime hits 90 once in a while. The 75-140 should be good for me.

Don't worry about the spelling. I like to pronounce it "SINTETICK" and the locals (like myself) know what I'm talkin about :D

I'll be going with it on the next oil change.

Chief

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not Far...

Chief said:
Not sure where you live TDZE08, but from the temps I'm guessing Antartica maybe? :D

In the Northern part of Pa, it occasionally dips to zero F, but usually it's more like 20. Summertime hits 90 once in a while. The 75-140 should be good for me.

Don't worry about the spelling. I like to pronounce it "SINTETICK" and the locals (like myself) know what I'm talkin about :D

I'll be going with it on the next oil change.

Chief
Hey Chief,

I'm not too far from where you are at. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, to be exact. I think we have one of the largest temperature ranges here from (-40C/F in the winter to +40C/104F in the summer). A great place for all weather testing. I bought my Titan in late September last year so I haven't had to use my A/C yet - I'm a windows down type person anyway but some summer days are super humid killers. We'll see how the 80W-90 works then...

But for those with 4x4 with VDC, you should know that you have one amazing piece of kit for the snow and ice. In fact, the 4x2 is also great.

Cheers,

TDZE

·
Registered
791 Posts
I believe the '05 Titans are coming with Synthetic 75W-140W gear lube in the rears. Also, the 4X4's I understand have a really cool finned aluminum diff cover I'm looking into getting for my 4X2 as we speak. Should do wonders for the heat. I am believer in Royal Purple products so regardless of the new aluminum cover I will be changing my rear fluid to Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-140W within the next few weeks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
TDZE08 said:
Just info for anyone interested...

I recently changed the diff fluid on both the front and rear to synethic (AMSOIL 80W-90)
OK - it's been three months -- how's it working out.. Jim

·
Registered
434 Posts
TitanHauler said:
I am believer in Royal Purple products so regardless of the new aluminum cover I will be changing my rear fluid to Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-140W within the next few weeks.
Have you done so, just curious. Where does one acquire Royal Purple... at the Royal Pep Boys? -- Jim

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
You can find it at any or you local speed shops. Pep Boys, Auto Zone and the like won't have it.
Or online!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts