Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten word on the ability to fab. the tailgate lift assist from the '05 to the '04? If there is info. out there, let me know.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I am pretty sure some guys at TitanTalk did it. Havent seen anyone here with it yet. If anyone has it please post pictures and a how to that would be great.
M4ck

·
Registered
235 Posts
i didnt do it but i have an 04 with the tailgate assist, so im assuming it is possible to do, it doesnt look very complicated, if i had a camera i would take pics for u... sorry

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will definitely be doing this mod! I compared the weight of the tailgate on my brother's Dodge 1500 and the Titan - The Titan feels like it literally weighs twice as much. The main reason I want to do the mod is because my wife opened the tailgete of my truck up the other day and she almost smacked my son in the head (he shouldn't have been standing there in the first place).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
let me know the details of what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It has not sucessfully been done yet to my knowledge. People that have ordered the parts and thinking about making the attempt have said there is some cutting involved in the passenger rear portion of the bed to install the strut in there and get it bolted up.

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
It has not sucessfully been done yet to my knowledge. People that have ordered the parts and thinking about making the attempt have said there is some cutting involved in the passenger rear portion of the bed to install the strut in there and get it bolted up.

Chris
There were back to back pictures posted on TT of the sheetmetal structure behind the passenger side tail light. The structure is quite different and would at minimum require some cutting and welding to retro an 04 to use the assist. The brackets that changed looked much heavier and are configured differently to allow the assist cylinder room to move. Thats too bad since I believe both halves of the hinge and the cylinder were less than $50.00. I would sure like to see some brave soul give this one a shot. Just make sure and document for the rest of us how you do it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Is it just me? When I was buying my Titan the heft/weight of the tailgate was a selling point for me! It convinced me that the Titan was a tough truck! In fact, when I took it by my buddies house the night I bought it that was one of the things I was showing off. Maybe its just me . . .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've had a Ram and a Dakota and never noticed the tailgate weight on the Titan being any heavier.

hmmm

Chief

·
Registered
49 Posts
that was also a selling point for me. the titan tailgate is heavier than my friends dodge and my old chevy. i like the heavy tailgate, makes you do that ugggggggghhhh eveytime you close it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
smoothtitan said:
that was also a selling point for me. the titan tailgate is heavier than my friends dodge and my old chevy. i like the heavy tailgate, makes you do that ugggggggghhhh eveytime you close it.
I do that just looking at your avitar! :wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I posted this onfo on here before. Jaimie fron nissan247 has found a company that will shortly have a sysem available for the Titan. Sounds as if it is a torsion bar that monts inside the tailgate, he says install is easy and takes about 15-20 minuts. When he gets more info he will post. The actual post for this on Titantal.

http://www.clubtitan.org/postlite1399-.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Tailgate is heavier than your tailgate...

My buddy just bought a new Ram 1500 4x4 crew after putting his 4x2 in a ditch during a freak snow storm and fishtailing it and his new bass boat into the ditch. After I pulled his dodge out with the Titan, (Oh yeah, I had a huge smile on my face!) we talked for a few mins. He asked me how I liked my truck etc and so on...So I showed it off. I told him to drop the tail gate and it about knocked him over! Simarally, (Is that a word?) my father-in-law, who has an 04 Ford F150 and has had Fords most his life, and has constantly made fun of me for buying a Nissan did the same thing and nearly broke his arm. BTW: He has stopped making fun of me after having his truck in the shop twice for mechanical problems while the Titan just keeps on truckin! So to Ford, Chevy, and Dodge owners I say, "BRING IT ON!" hahahaha.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Or get hold of a 05....we have tailgate assist....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts