Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tailgate Lock actuator was a great project for me. I work in a secure complex and the guards always want to look in the back since I have a lowpro cover. I keep the gate locked so until this mod I had to turn off the truck and go unlock with the key. Many thanks to Pciley from TT for his great instructions and help in finding the actuator. I drilled a hole in the side of the gate (see photo) and ran the wire down and under the LH side of truck. I used a weather tight polarized plug so I can disconnect when removing gate. The tailgate is tied into the passenger door lock/unlock circuit. Have the location and color code of wires to tie into if anyone is interested. Bought the actuator at circuit city $20.00.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Great job man. Really good idea. I am really starting to enjoy all the great minds around here.
M4ck

·
Registered
870 Posts
I hadn't even thought of doing that, great post. I plan on buying a tonneau cover and really the only times I will be using it I'll be travelling on and off of military posts, so being able to unlock it without shutting the vehicle down would be great(i hate turning it off and starting right back up)

I might have to do this before I even order the tonneau cover

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nice pics! I think this will be a nice spring project for me. This makes me think though..... could something like this be done with the side lock box? That is my only complaint obout the box is that you have to turn off the truck to open it with the key. Hmmmm. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sxviper said:
nice job. great pics. that is my next mod that i do, could you tell me what wires to tap into? thanks, jim
:lol:
Here is the wiring plan I made prior to starting. I was doing several mods at once so I needed to get it all straight on paper before I started making up the wiring looms. I updated these when I was done to document for future reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did your power tailgate mod this weekend and it worked out very well. Nice design/engineering on the lock mechanism. I believe more simple, elegant, and direct than the one posted in TitanTalk.com, though I used hints from both on wiring.

Thanks for posting!

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
There is a low tech approach to this problem. Have a key made without the chip in it and use it to open the tailgate or side compartment. Neither requires a chip. You could even hand it to the guard while the truck is still running.

As a side note, I had a key made to carry in my wallet in case I should somehow lock the truck with the keys in the ignition. I've never done that before, but I figure there has to be a first time for everything and its sure to happen at the most inopertune moment.

Ralph

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have power door locks you can do this mod. Read this post plus this one( http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18471&highlight=tail gate lock ) and you will have a good idea about how to do it.
I did mine last Saturday morning and works great. Ordered the lock mechanism from this site ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-010 ) and used low voltage 16/2 outdoor lighting wire from Home Depot plus a 2 wire trailer plug from local auto parts store and it's a clean installation for under $20.00.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
jrw396 said:
If you have power door locks you can do this mod. Read this post plus this one( http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18471&highlight=tail gate lock ) and you will have a good idea about how to do it.
I did mine last Saturday morning and works great. Ordered the lock mechanism from this site ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-010 ) and used low voltage 16/2 outdoor lighting wire from Home Depot plus a 2 wire trailer plug from local auto parts store and it's a clean installation for under $20.00.
Good luck.
Any Pics?
I am thinking about doing this mod...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sorry Peluche, I didn't take any pics. The ones on these two post, pretty well show everything needed. Can't really add to it. Let me know what you need, and I will try to supply. I did mount the operator like Boone-Titan posted. I took my time and lined everything up, before I made my marks so the tailgate cover plate would not interfer with the mounting bolts I used when I reassembly the tailgate cover. I tend to overdesign, but its not going anywhere.
Let me know if your not sure about how to do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone recall who did the gas tank door auto lock/unlock? I remember seeing the thread/link while originally viewing this thread for the tailgate.

·
SHIFT_Mr. Quick Answers
11,110 Posts
thaimonkee said:
can someone send the wiring diagrams to my email [email protected]o.com...i can see them here...and it wont let me copy and paste. thenaks in advance.
The wire can be found behind the passenger kick panel. It's a Violet and Green/Yellow stripe. If tie to here the actuator will only open with second push on the key fob (it open with the rest of the doors).

·
Registered
61 Posts
:D This site and your post are awesome! Every project that I thought would be difficult to do or get done has appeared here.

Now I need to reveal my stupidity :cry: I cannot figure out how to access or download project pictures when they are attached to a post this way ...

MainSchematic.jpg
Description:

Download
Filename: MainSchematic.jpg
Filesize: 255.13 KB
Downloaded: 332 Time(s)

Will someone please advise? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
justindozone said:
:D This site and your post are awesome! Every project that I thought would be difficult to do or get done has appeared here.

Now I need to reveal my stupidity :cry: I cannot figure out how to access or download project pictures when they are attached to a post this way ...

MainSchematic.jpg
Description:

Download
Filename: MainSchematic.jpg
Filesize: 255.13 KB
Downloaded: 332 Time(s)

Will someone please advise? Thanks!
That is a common problem that people are having. Try this link to Titan Talk. You should be able to view these pictures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had this mod for a while done all but the wiring part. What is the best way to get it to the passanger door without the wire hanging underneath the truck but still easy to thread through?

·
Registered
40 Posts
or better yet a nice pic showing how you wired it underneath! ;)

·
SHIFT_Mr. Quick Answers
11,110 Posts
Daves_Titan said:
I have had this mod for a while done all but the wiring part. What is the best way to get it to the passanger door without the wire hanging underneath the truck but still easy to thread through?
I just run it along some factory wire and use tie wrap to hold it together. Behind the back seat on the passenger side is a plug that I run my wire through the cab.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts