Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dreaded pop has arrived. Im setting at about 72k miles. I figured it would come at some point after what I have learned here. I am getting it checked out next tuesday to make sure its the rear diff going out. If so the question is:

1. Just get it fixed up, rough quote ($1700)

2. Go with a tructrac install, havent looked at pricing yet.

I know this has been discussed some, im going to try and track down all the threads and read them.

Just seeing if anything knew is out there for opinions, and if anything new is out there for front and rear gears?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
12K out of warranty. That sucks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, im used to it thats my luck ;) After a little more inspecition myself im pretty sure its my U Joints so not too big of a deal this go around.

At first I was a little mad that it my rear end was going out, then I decided to turn it into a positive cause ive always wanted to re-gear and maybe do tru trac.

So I was trying to figure out if rugged rocks offroad had the front gears in and I couldnt find a real answer online so I just gave them a call yesterday, and they said they just got the final test gears and everything was good on them. So it shouldnt be much longer and front gears will be ready.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You'll probably be the first Colorado Titan with different front end gears! I'm not interested in regearing but I sure wouldn't mind finding a different set of front gears that are less likely to fail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just hope its truly not my diff going out, because those gears arent ready, and I wanted to do it all at once and only pay for labor once, lol

Correct me if im wrong, but the trutrac would replace what has failed, I would just be giving up the ELocker, and the VDC woud still work.

Ive read so much stuff lately, my head is going to explode, so I just need a confirmation that yes im right no I got it wrong.

And it seems like I came across front gears that are stronger but not lower so ill try and track down what I saw.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Tru-trac does replace part of the guts of the diff. But I read some concerns that if things blew up inside the diff that parts of the diff that are not replaced by Tru-trac then you have a much larger problem on your hands and a full axle replacement is often the only option.

VDC will still work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that turns out to be the case. Regearing would take care of that too because axles would be replaced?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm a bit out of my depth here but I think regearing replaces the ring and pinion but not the axles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm am pretty sure. You are correct with. Which will lead me into a stronger axle setup. Dang. More money. Lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Get ready for some fun now, see the two bolt heads on the bottom off the diff thats the third time I been in their! With nthe cost of everything I could have had a new rear put in ! but hey I got posi trac now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
forgive me for being such a newbie here but since the vast majority of my mechanical knowlege is in the rotor wing industry, i need a little bit of educating here, what is the dreaded pop? is it limited to only a few model years of titan? anyone know if in depth maintenance manuals are available for model year 2011 yet?

·
Registered
334 Posts
spyder gear failure

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it into a 4 wheel drive shop close to my house thats done good work. They did some testing on it, and they said it sounds like its binding up and poping to release but wasnt making noise like the spider gears were broken. So we just did a flush and oiled them, and a few other little things. Everything was good for about a week then it came back. Im still not sure its the gears, because I figured it would have been completely dead by now. But I guess we will see when something completely breaks. haha

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I took it into a 4 wheel drive shop close to my house thats done good work. They did some testing on it, and they said it sounds like its binding up and poping to release but wasnt making noise like the spider gears were broken. So we just did a flush and oiled them, and a few other little things. Everything was good for about a week then it came back. Im still not sure its the gears, because I figured it would have been completely dead by now. But I guess we will see when something completely breaks. haha
Which shop? I took my Ranger to All-American off of Santa Fe, south of C-470. It wasn't cheap or quick, but they did seem to get things fixed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya thats the shop I took it too. didnt seem to cure it.

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
3,954 Posts
When my spider gears went it felt like the truck was crawling sideways during left turns, like a crab. Really weird. I drained the gear oil and found a couple teeth. Good thing I didn't keep driving it. In either event it was under warranty. They put a whole new rear assembly in, axles and all. I didn't wait too long before dropping a Detroit LSD in it though. It was 5 bills and around $175 to install it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts