Registered
11 Posts
Big thanks to Ken in AZ & SuperTighty5.6 for hooking me up with the advance

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ken deserves all the thanks!!

Big thanks to Ken in AZ & SuperTighty5.6 for hooking me up with the advance
Just had the 2* advance and throttle body bypass done today and literally just got back from a butt dyno and im a believer and so is the turbo mazda 6 with a fart tip I just kicked the crap out of. lol really like the cheap mods. And once again Ken in AZ is the man from clubtitan!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
SuperTighty - When you order your TBS, let us know what you think after you run it. Im considering getting one off Ebay for $30.00. Another cheap mod !

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sent a few PM's to the houston guys about it but thought I'd post it on here too, I want to get mine done and possably bring 2 more titan's with me when i come. Any takers?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I can do it for $10 in Central Florida and can meet you

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can perform the 2 degree timing advance on 04 to 07's. I can cover the following areas as I live in PA, work in DC and stay in MD & VA during the week.

DC - metro area
VA - Northern, Alexandria
MD - Rockville
PA - Reading, West Chester

No cost. Donations gladly accepted, especially cookies :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can do it in Spartanburg/Lancaster, SC free of charge. Donations gladly excepted, especially scratch off lottery tix. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
ok, 15 pages to search thru...uugghh

just acquired my titan and changed tire size and want(ed) to recalibrate the computer to match that tire...found out the hard way this is not possible (which is very frustrating). after some phone calls to dealers and other shops i came across a service writer who told me that a guy came in some years ago to do a 2* timing change and other things...........

so i have been doing some research and came across this option. here in lies my questions as i can't seem to find a definative answer:
1. aside from the added ponies (butt dyno) WILL it improve mileage? which is what i want to reflect w/ my proper tire size (mileage/tranny shift points/speed)
2. any issues to engine (anyone experienced)...found i MAY have to run higher octane - staying away from flex - which is what i have....
3. the dealer i spoke w/ wants $110 for doing so...have not asked the dealer from which i bought truck...other than contacting a guy in WI (sabin?) IS this the closest? anyone anyone bueller!!
4. and from what i've foung - SHOULD NOT void warranty TRUE?

thanks for patience/new guy questions.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
1. aside from the added ponies (butt dyno) WILL it improve mileage? which is what i want to reflect w/ my proper tire size (mileage/tranny shift points/speed)

Hypertech has a hardwired in system to correct the speedometer, no other method exist. It mounts inside the dash. Cost is about $125 or so. 2* Timing Advance will not make any noticeable change in gas mileage one way or the other. A few will swear it does, I do not believe it. It improves initial response only. Adds 6-8 HP possibly according to one dyno done 4 years ago by a member.

2. any issues to engine (anyone experienced)...found i MAY have to run higher octane - staying away from flex - which is what i have....

Absolutely never heard of anyone having any issues. I've done about 103 Timing Advances. I've been doing them since around October 2006 and very active user here. 87 Octane is still fine, some have used 89, but you don't need it. I run a timing advance and high performance tune from UpRev on 87 Octane. I've run it for 3 years or more. never heard of Flex Fuel being an issue.

3. the dealer i spoke w/ wants $110 for doing so...have not asked the dealer from which i bought truck...other than contacting a guy in WI (sabin?) IS this the closest? anyone anyone bueller!!

With UpRev Cipher and a warmed up Titan; I can hop in, do the advance and be out in 48 seconds flat. Done it several times! I would not pay $110, buy Cipher for $200 or get a BD or such. I used to charge $40 when it first came out, now do them free.

4. and from what i've foung - SHOULD NOT void warranty TRUE?

It will not void the warranty. The reason is that Nissan specifies 15 *BTDC with a + or - 5 degree range considered normal. So 17* is normal! I've never seen one that was not 15* prior to the advance, but it has been reported.

thanks for patience/new guy questions.
I hope that clarifies things for you. Ask away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
THANKS MUCH...

but i am completely satisfied w/ the hp it now has and to add 4/6/8 won't make much difference.

what i want is better mileage than what i am getting. dealer sold me on something that is not true and have no 'recourse' to go after them with. on freeway, cruise set at 72 with the 275/70/18 tires for a 3.5 hr drive my mileage was 9.8 mpg. that is terrible if you ask me. they told me the truck would get 14-18 all day long. for the rest of my trip we got 11.8 and an 13.01 return home w/ 30 mph wind at passenger door the whole way. the only thing changed was i got new tires - 265/70/18. i don't understand.

what is the sweet spot (mph/rpm's) of this motor? - cuz my old diesel was 70 mph and 2k rpms....i got 13-16 in a cc 1 ton any day of the week intown or freeway.

sorry for my ramblings.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I've had 4 people and full load of luggage and gotten 18 MPG at 65-70 with a CC and BT on 87 Octane. 9.8 seems way off. Check MAF and Air Filter to be sure they are clean. I think something is amiss. It may be best to do some searching, and then start a new thread for your issues, since this is a Timing Advance Location thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
THANKS MUCH...

but i am completely satisfied w/ the hp it now has and to add 4/6/8 won't make much difference.

what i want is better mileage than what i am getting. dealer sold me on something that is not true and have no 'recourse' to go after them with. on freeway, cruise set at 72 with the 275/70/18 tires for a 3.5 hr drive my mileage was 9.8 mpg. that is terrible if you ask me. they told me the truck would get 14-18 all day long. for the rest of my trip we got 11.8 and an 13.01 return home w/ 30 mph wind at passenger door the whole way. the only thing changed was i got new tires - 265/70/18. i don't understand.

what is the sweet spot (mph/rpm's) of this motor? - cuz my old diesel was 70 mph and 2k rpms....i got 13-16 in a cc 1 ton any day of the week intown or freeway.

sorry for my ramblings.
PM'ed you about this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thanks titan and jdos.....

i got the pm and sent u back one.

they told me air filter was changed - i guess i will have to physically pull it out and look. as for maf, i have cleaner....

anyone else have thoughts?!?!

i will watch and look for awhile then repost elsewhere later.
thanks again
dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Send the mod a pm but for those in or near Santa Clarita wanting a timing advance I can do them as well, its probably better if you PM me on the titan talk forum though as I spend most of my time there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this still a viable post? If so I'm in Charlotte NC & saw that @Flip was doing the 2* advance. I have a '10 Armada platinum I'd like done.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts