Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings: This is my first post, and I'm wondering if anybody has found something that will improve gas mileage on these big trucks short of amputating my right foot? Thanks, Tommyturbo2

·
Registered
254 Posts
Drive like Ms Daisy. If you cant do that, then:

Air up your tires to 38-40psi (will ride a little stiffer, but you will have less rolling resistance and hence, slightly better mileage)

I notice a decent increase (1.5mpg) by adding a Banks catback and the Airraid TB spacer

Cold air intake (Volant, K&N, etc) should help a little bit also (still waiting for mine to arrive, soI cant say for certain)

Now for the obligatory...you bought a BIG truck with a BIG engine, what do you expect for mpg speech. 8)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I made a ghetto plywood tonneau cover that slides into the utilitrak rails and that got me about 1.5 mpg on the highway. I also changed the engine, front and rear end, and transfercase over to synthetic fluid and those gave me about .5 mpg over my old average. If I keep my foot out of it, and keep it around or under 70 I can get 17-18 on the highway, but I normally average high 14's.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ModlessG said:
Place a raw egg under the gas pedal. That will make you light foot it.
Leave it there in the hot summer for a few weeks and you will save bundles on gas! :lol:

·
Registered
330 Posts
NateL said:
I made a ghetto plywood tonneau cover that slides into the utilitrak rails and that got me about 1.5 mpg on the highway. I also changed the engine, front and rear end, and transfercase over to synthetic fluid and those gave me about .5 mpg over my old average. If I keep my foot out of it, and keep it around or under 70 I can get 17-18 on the highway, but I normally average high 14's.
A friend told me that he had heard switching all your fluids to Royal Purple will add around 20HP. I don't know if this is true, I haven't looked into it yet, does anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
254 Posts
drmstlr66 said:
NateL said:
A friend told me that he had heard switching all your fluids to Royal Purple will add around 20HP. I don't know if this is true, I haven't looked into it yet, does anyone know anything about that?
I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was dropping off flyers on mailboxes today and got a WHOPPING 8.2 MPG.

I average between 12 and 17 depending on City or Highway, but like many of us here, I like to get on it more then I should.

·
Registered
26 Posts
it seems like it don't matter if i drive 80 or 65 mph, i get about the same every time. 15-16.5 mpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
tommyturbo2 said:
Greetings: This is my first post, and I'm wondering if anybody has found something that will improve gas mileage on these big trucks short of amputating my right foot? Thanks, Tommyturbo2
Trade it in for a V-4 Prius.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re:

No, I believe a 2.2 cylinder Toyota Camry gets better gas mileage. Did I mention a Toyota Corolla also? NOT!

·
Registered
26 Posts
i love my gas mileage, cause it comes with alot of horsepower!!!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re:

**** said:
No, I believe a 2.2 cylinder Toyota Camry gets better gas mileage. Did I mention a Toyota Corolla also? NOT!
How about one of those hybrid things?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just having some fun. No offense meant.
:dance:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
A good single out cat back exhaust with a intake and maybe the TB spacer will probably get you about 2mpg better. Thats about the best you can do. And like the others stay off that peddle. I know its easy but if you are worried about saving fuel then thats what you need to do. When you get on her she swallows it up.
Trust me I have a heavy foot I know.
M4ck

·
SHIFT_Grill-Master
130 Posts
Figure this one out?

Hello all, I was getting about 15.5 mpg in November. Installed magnaflow duals and got a fold-a-cover and my mpg went down to 13.5. I brought to the dealership to have them check it out. The said everything checked out okay. They told me to switch gas stations and go to a higher octane, even though I always go to the same station and use the same octane. WTF?
Later all, dunder dan.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
BETTER GAS MILAGE.

8) ITS OBVIOUS THAT NOT TOO MANY OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE OWNED OR CURRENTLY OWN A SPORTS CAR,SO WITH THAT BEING SAID ILL SAY YES THERE IS PLENTY YOU CAN DO TO GET BETTER GAS MILAGE.I DRAG RACE MY 1996 TRANS AM AND STILL GET 24MPG RUNNING 12.20S ALL STILL FUEL INJECTED,THANKYOU.FREE FLOWING EXHAUST IS A BIG PLUS.YOU ALSO HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PULL IN AIR WITH LESS RESTRICTION TO EVEN THE EXHAUST OUT.THE BED COVER IS GOOD.SYNTHETICS ARE THE WAY TO GO,BUT EVEN A GOOD BRAND WILL WORK AS WELL AS AN EXPENSIVE BRAND.SO MUCH MORE TO LIST.NEXT TIME.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It's an oxymoron. You have to give your truck more power to get better gas mileage. However, you can't use that extra power if you're expecting to get that better gas milege.

I've got a performance exhaust and intake on the way...the reality of it is I doubt my mileage will be improved as a result. But it was a good excuse to upgrade! :wink:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hey Tommy, welcome to the Club.
Sorry to say, but until you get around 3-4K miles on 'er, your not gonna see much better than 10-12mpg!

Synthetic oils will help, there's a few mods with reviews posted (too much to list), that are simple, with different price ranges.

The only mods I have (so far) is a tonneau cover and the Factory Air box mod, and I avg. high 14's in the city/hwy. Which is comparable to the 'other' 1/2 ton pickups on the market.

Unfortuneately, Everything about the Titan is Big! (including the Gas Bill)

Hope this answers the Question.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts