Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get some aftermarket wheels and tires and I want to retain the factory Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I also am not keen on dismounting my factory rims and tires just to get the sensors out of the wheels as I may need to put them back in the future if I upgrade to a current model year Titan and want to take my aftermarket wheels and tires with me. Can anyone tell me the following:

1)How much are the sensors if I just bought 4 new ones to put in the the new wheels and tires?

2)Can new sensors be programmed to my truck without unprogramming the old ones?

3)Can pressure sensors be programmed to any Titan?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a bit of experience on these sensors on last titan. The sensors are about 70 bucks a piece. You will have to get Nissan to program your titan for the new sensors but this only takes a few minutes. You can get sensor out and in without dismounting from rim so that may be your best option. You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

Also, the sensor is part of your valve assembly and it is a hair smaller in diameter then most valve stems. When at tire shop but a couple bucks worth of different size rubber grommets for stems so you can seal it up.

Good luck!

Z

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikeZ said:
I had a bit of experience on these sensors on last titan. The sensors are about 70 bucks a piece. You will have to get Nissan to program your titan for the new sensors but this only takes a few minutes. You can get sensor out and in without dismounting from rim so that may be your best option. You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

Also, the sensor is part of your valve assembly and it is a hair smaller in diameter then most valve stems. When at tire shop but a couple bucks worth of different size rubber grommets for stems so you can seal it up.

Good luck!

Z
I gotcha! I was thinking you had to take the tire off the rim to get the sensor out. So if you deflate the tire and remove the valve stem the sensor will pull right through the hole??? Anyone have a picture of one of these things?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The valve stem is connected to sensor (it is all one piece). So you will need to deflate tire (fully!), push tire away from rim in area of valve stem and then pull out valve stem/sensor from the back of rim (after you unscrew it from front of course.). It helps to have a second set of hands but not absolutley neccessary.

Let me know if this made sense to you. Wish I had a pic of sensor but dont.sorry

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! This is good stuff. So then, it seems the best approach to this would be to remove the sensors from my factory wheels, have generic valve stems without sensors put back into the factory wheels and the tires re-inflated, and sell them. If I purchase another Titan, work it out at the time of sale to have the factory wheels from the new Titan put on my old Titan and vice versa. Then have the dealer program the sensors to both vehicles. Sound about right? Because otherwise I have to extract the sensors back and forth to much. Can the sensors be programmed while inside the tires?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
MikeZ said:
You will need to keep sensors on left side of vehicle on left and right side on right.

so if we rotate our tires, is the tire light going to come on when the right goes to the left and vise versa?

·
Registered
255 Posts
According to my service departent, it was designed to rotate front to back and not criss cross. I took their word for it and went front to back and didnt have any problems. Being that this info came from "my service department", this info and 1 buck will get you some coffee from Mickey D's. I also had already always rotated front to back so it wasnt a big issue for me. scr38 might be able to verify this if he has service manual.

Titanhauler, the sensors will be programmed while in tires. When the tire store busted one of my sensors, I watched them program the new one. They plugged the computer thing on and then had a portable "scanner" like thing and went to each wheel with it. When it programmed it, the tail lights flash a couple times.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Here ya go Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
WOW, for once my service department knew what they were talking about!!! :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello all,
Late post, BUT .... I myself have been working with custom tires and wheels for 7 years. I did my own wheels and switched out the sensors to the customs..... I know that the right rear sensor is on the left rear and vise versa....... no problems as of yet to show for. Then again that could be just me.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm buying a set of the 17" OR wheels w/ sensors from another member over at TT for my XE. He wasn't aware of the TPM designation thing, so he didn't mark which were right or left. Should I replace his monitors with mine since I know which are left/right on my truck, or just don't sweat it and have them reinitialized by the dealer? I wonder how much they'd charge me to do that.

MikeZ, were you saying in your post that you the tire shop had the tool to reinitialize your sensor....not the dealer? Maybe I won't even need it, since SeaBees had no issues. I'll call a couple tire shops tomorrow. Thanks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my Titan (04, cc,or,bt) last week. Dealer already had aftermarket tires on, and i have the factory tires/rims sitting in my garage. I noticed that the sensor light comes on all the time. Spoke to salesman and he said that aftermarket tires don't have sensors in them and that they wouldn't fit in them anyways. Does anyone know if this is true or is he full of it?
Thanks
G

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
I'm buying a set of the 17" OR wheels w/ sensors from another member over at TT for my XE. He wasn't aware of the TPM designation thing, so he didn't mark which were right or left. Should I replace his monitors with mine since I know which are left/right on my truck, or just don't sweat it and have them reinitialized by the dealer? I wonder how much they'd charge me to do that.

MikeZ, were you saying in your post that you the tire shop had the tool to reinitialize your sensor....not the dealer? Maybe I won't even need it, since SeaBees had no issues. I'll call a couple tire shops tomorrow. Thanks...
just wait for the sensor light to come on, and take it to them, saying it flashes the light at you, but the pressure is fine, they will re-initalize them for you, trying to figure out what sensor may be bad. Not that your sensor is bad, but they do not need to do that. They will reset everything under warranty with the right information. Now you tell them you changed the sensors, and they will charge you an hour of shop time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
jaysplaypen said:
RockyMtnTitan said:

just wait for the sensor light to come on, and take it to them, saying it flashes the light at you, but the pressure is fine, they will re-initalize them for you, trying to figure out what sensor may be bad. Not that your sensor is bad, but they do not need to do that. They will reset everything under warranty with the right information. Now you tell them you changed the sensors, and they will charge you an hour of shop time.
Yeah, when I did this (7 months ago :D ) I had the shop swap the TPM's from my XE wheels to the OR wheels so that I could be sure of correct designation of the sensors, and thus have no issues with initialization.

·
Registered
215 Posts
No, the tire sensors are not standard equipment.

However, I believe that all Titan's have the TPMS capability so it's just a matter of getting the wheel sensors, having them progammed, and then they will work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 04 KC/LE and I notice that everytime the TPM warning light will come on when I travel @ speed of 80mph or more for about 10 minutes. The light will stay on with no warning chime. If I slow down (and stay) below 60mph such as when I encounter a traffic jam for 10 minutes or so the light went away but it will light up again once I pickup the speed again. I've already check and ensure all tire pressure is @ 30psi. Any suggestion????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts