Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, its my first winter with the titan and the other day I got off work (3rd shift) and my TPMS light is on. Indicating a tire was low so I pulled off looked at them and they looked fine so I checked them with my gauge and they checked 32, 33, 35, 35 which I'm running nitro and the tires are rated for 35psi (stock LE 20'' goodyear) were semi warm and were close enough that the cheap gauge could have thrown the psi off by the 2 or 3 psi I figured PLUS the owners manual says the lights not supposed to come on unless one is atleast 8psi low? Well the light stayed on for 2 days more untill the temp went up a little outside and then shut off. And this morning it was on again on my way home and the tires are fine it was just 21 degrees out and I imagine will go off again when the temp rises a little. Why does the system freak out in the cold?

What gives? Has anyone else had this problem? Have I got a bad sensor? Im sure this isn't normal...

·
Registered
682 Posts
My '04 did the exact same thing in the cold. Drove me nuts. I could sometimes get it to reset by airing down all the tires significantly and re-inflating them. I had to wonder if some condensation or something got into a valve and froze? Anyway, when I replaced the stock BFGs with Goodyear Silent Armors, my inflation pressures went up and I never had the problem again! Dealer could never figure it out too.

My '08 never had the quirky cold problem, but I alway upped the normal pressures anyway for towing. With my new Coopers, I'm running 42# and no problems! (Knock on wood!) Good luck!

-Lab

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is the reason for using nitrogen, so the tire does not loose pressure during cold weather, I would double check to see if the stealership actually used Nitrogen. natural air has moisture in it not nitrogen, and this would cause your situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 07 has a problem with the light on all the time?
Don't really need an idiot light to tell me the tires are low.:duh:
Any suggestions for working around it.
Don't want the computer to go bonkers.:weird-big:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got my titan so I am wondering how long the batteries last on the monitor attached to the tire itself? or maybe the computer needs to have the trouble code erased.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My TPMS readout on my navigation screen ALWAYS reads 2 to 3 PSI lower than my digital handheld air gauge. Which is correct? I lean towards somewhere in between. So I air up my tires to about 37 PSI according to the digital gauge.

When you air up your tires after the warning comes on it will take a few miles (usually less than 10) of driving for it to reset. Supposedly the sensors do not send a signal unless the vehicle/wheel is in motion. If you have a TPMS tool then you can get the sensors to send a signal while the vehicle is parked.

I've heard the batteries should be good for at least 10 years.

The TPMS computer only looks for LOW pressure, not high pressure. I had mine at 55 PSI as an experiment to see if it would initiate a relearn of the system. It didn't and it never complained. Given that these are 1/2 ton trucks and it is not out of the ordinary to put Light Truck tires on them that allow up to 60 PSI it makes sense that the TPMS would not complain about PSI higher than the OEM 35 PSI.

For more info see this post: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53173&highlight=TPMS+relearn

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mine came on today, always does when it get real cold for the first time. It's just doing it's job letting me know that I need to add some air.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Also, if you read those pressures after driving, those are warm tire temps...and Nitrogen filled tires do still change pressures but barely. And unless the air was completely removed first, adding Nitrogen won't change much...at least that's how I understand it. And no...8PSI difference is BS. Mine can go down 1 PSI and light the light. I usually up the pressures a bit just to compensate for any fluctuation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
called the stealer ship today and they said the light will come on even if it drops 2-3 psi so thats probably my problem. Kinda pisses me off that they say one thing which is the truth and the manual says something else. I swear sometimes I can called 4 surrounding dealerships and they all say something different.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The threshold for the warning is a little fuzzy. If I recall correctly, on my Titan the warning comes on at 28 PSI if only one tire is low. But if more than one tire falls below 30 PSI then the warning will come on. This second observation may have been made after one tire fell below 28 but then subsequently came back above 28 so it may not be 100% right.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My tpms does it every year when the weather gets cold and Im running just air. Keeping the tires at a proper level does help in gas mileage and tire wear. It seems that when the light goes on I just use my portable compresor and bring them up to 35 psi, and that takes care of the problem for the whole winter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Add 5 lbs to tires and you will have no light

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My tpms does it every year when the weather gets cold and Im running just air. Keeping the tires at a proper level does help in gas mileage and tire wear. It seems that when the light goes on I just use my portable compresor and bring them up to 35 psi, and that takes care of the problem for the whole winter.
Add 5 lbs to tires and you will have no light
Guess I'll have to try this problem is with my work and school schedule I have no time to find a place that carries nitro so I guess I'll just be replacing it with co2 out of the craftsman compressor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Wife's Jeep had this problem, all four tires checked out fine. Had me scratching my head. One of my friends told me to check the spare, no more light.
So check out the spare, hopefully that may be it.

Mac

·
Registered
682 Posts
My Wife's Jeep had this problem, all four tires checked out fine. Had me scratching my head. One of my friends told me to check the spare, no more light.
So check out the spare, hopefully that may be it.

Mac
Unfortunately, unless you put one in, our spares have no sensor.

-Lab

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh? My 07 Came with a sensor on my spare.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 08.5 does not have the tpms on the spare. My light will come on if it is 2-5 lbs low. Discount checked my sensor and it shows 34.6 when there is 35 lbs in the tire. Also if I dont put 38lbs in it the light will come on with 10-20 degree temp change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After my 2010 Titan SE CC 4X4 sat parked in the snow while we were out getting trees, the TMPS light came on. I thought I might have hit something while we were 4 wheeling up the mountain. All tires were fine. PSI was at 34. Stopped at the store about 20 miles later and put a little air in each tire and the light went out. I run 36psi all the way around. Nitrogen???? I thought that was for race cars, where a 1/4 psi would make a difference. Seems like a hassle to me. I will stick to air until it runs out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After my 2010 Titan SE CC 4X4 sat parked in the snow while we were out getting trees, the TMPS light came on. I thought I might have hit something while we were 4 wheeling up the mountain. All tires were fine. PSI was at 34. Stopped at the store about 20 miles later and put a little air in each tire and the light went out. I run 36psi all the way around. Nitrogen???? I thought that was for race cars, where a 1/4 psi would make a difference. Seems like a hassle to me. I will stick to air until it runs out.
The titans not a race car? lol Its just a more stable air that doesn't fluxuate as much and gives people that don't ever check their tire pressure better gas mileage, because it tends to stay at a closer psi rather than jumping. But I just said **** the nitro and put 37psi in mine since I have my own air compressor and its less hassle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The titans not a race car? lol Its just a more stable air that doesn't fluxuate as much and gives people that don't ever check their tire pressure better gas mileage, because it tends to stay at a closer psi rather than jumping. But I just said **** the nitro and put 37psi in mine since I have my own air compressor and its less hassle.

Nissanbyblood, Hey pal just messing with ya. I totally understand the benifits. Yea you right about the Titan being a race car. I fiqure when I bought my truck,I also got the muscle car/truck I've wanted HE hE. Glad to hear you got an air compressor. I know I couldn't live without mine. I sweep the garage floor with it, and it's great to blow the water out ftom around the lug nuts after washing your rig. Also clean the interior with it.:thumbsup-big:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts