Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one tell me what size gears are in our titans and what is the biggest tires that someone has or seen put on the titans.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The rear gears are gonna depend on what you got.
The standard rear gears are: 2.94:1.
If you got the Big Tow or Off Road Pkgs: 3.36:1.
I believe I read how someone here put 23's on their Titan, but I haven't seen it, nor do I have the Expertise to give you. However I'll post an interesting chart which shows the Shift points at different speeds, gears, etc.

Good luck

-Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i have a magazine with some Momo 24's on it, if i find it i'll post a pic.
and i believe that with a 6" lift you can fit some 37" rubbers on it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well with only a 3.36 gear ratio I wont go over 35s or the axle might snap or the gears will screw up

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
crowb52 said:
well with only a 3.36 gear ratio I wont go over 35s or the axle might snap or the gears will screw up
axle snap? gears screw up? this is a version of the dana 44, it can handel the tires being that big. a 3.36 rear end gear sounds small for a 4 speed transmission, but we have a 5 speed so the small rearend gear is compensated for. if you could snap the axle in your truck, you would be my hero :lol:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Not to burst anyone's bubble but I found/read an article in the January 2005 issue of Off Road Adventures (www.oramagazine.com) in the Gearhead section, one reader was asking for info to upgrade his 3/4 Ford Diesel, here's the article...
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssues/0501-issue/050114d-gearhead.html
[F-250 Puller
I am in the process of building my F-250 for truck pulling. I want to add power to the 6.9L diesel. In another article you wrote that the injector pumps are easily tunable. What kind of things can I do to the pump for more power? Also, when I add more power, I need something more for traction. The truck is still a daily driver so I need something easy to drive but strong and still good for off-roading. Do you think the front TTB will be able to handle the stress of pulling? Both the front and rear have 3.55 gears and I run 33s

Jason, Via e-mail

I have the same truck, Jason and it’s been a loyal friend for many years. First off, you’ll need a turbo kit. Banks makes a great one, the Sidewinder, which will give you about 220-250 hp and 450-475 lbs-ft. An earlier version of this kit has been on my truck for 18 years, so I can attest that it holds up. The only pump mod you can do at home is to set the fuel rate up to match the turbo. Given the age of your truck, if you want the best performance, I’d recommend replacing the injectors and having the pump rebuilt by a Stanadyne authorized injection shop. They are generally good for about 100,000 miles and start to go downhill from there. As for traction, if you want a totally streetable locker, go with the ARB Air Locker- 100 percent locked when you need it, 100 percent open when you don’t. Unless your truck was one of the rare ’80-86 F-250s that was ordered with the Dana 50 TTB front, you have the rather wimpy Dana 44. I don’t think it will hold up very well to pulling and big tires. You have two options, swap in a Dana 50 TTB from an ’80-85 F-350, ’87-97 F-250HD, or a Dana 60 beam axle from an ’86-up F-350. The latter choice will be more expensive, but stronger. Either way, you’ll want another Air Locker up front for max traction. You’ll need a gearing upgrade as well. For 33s, you should run 4.10s, with 35s, you need 4.56s, for 37-38 inchers 4.88s. ]

I don't like how he points out that this guy's Dana 44 is "Rather Wimpy".
On the flip side the Ford is a 3/4 ton chassis, Titan - 1/2 ton.

I ALSO don't like how Nissan is 'upgrading' the '05s with a billet aluminum cover with Fins!
I have an '04 with Steel cover, and Apparently its gotten rather hot, cuz just at 9500 miles, the cover's paint is gone, and the cover is rusting and Leaking!

But THATS another story......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts