Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was on my way home and my truck was cutting out and slowing. it revs fine in park but when in gear it just wont go and acts like it wants to cut off. never cut off but i would let off the gas before then. any thought.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is an 05. i will try that but it starts fine and idles ok just acts like cat is stopped up but only while driving. gotta go back up to the gas statiopn where i left it to try that. it just would go anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
not sure then. there are some gurus on here that know everything about the T, but they have been MIA lately. many members on here are also on Titan Talk. check them out.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I had a riding lawn mower that acted like that. Blown head gasket.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Check your Air Filter, consider getting a can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. Idling is much easier than running under load. Lack of air, or incorrect reading of volume can have a massive effect on runability. What is age or condition of your spark plugs? Check your oil for any hint of moisture, such as a white foam on the dipstick. Fuel pressure loss could cause same symptoms, more difficult to prove easily.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Could be low fuel pressure due to bad fuel pump. Also plugged cats could cause this. Have you recently refueled? Could be bad gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am leaning toward the fuel pump. going to put a guage on it today to check fuel itpressure. the spark plugs are new and i dont think its the cat because after it cools down it runs fine again. the longer you drive it the worse it gets to the point that if you touch the accel it trys to cut off. at first it would kinda cut out at full throttle thats why i changed the plugs. i will post my findings from the fuel pressure checks i do today. thanks for all the veiws and responses. i am a mechanic by trade but i work on forklifts (nissan) we are the biggest nissan dealer in the us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
replaced the fuel pump on it today. what a job. fuel pump did the trick. the red rocket is running strong once again. never could find a place to tie the guage in to check the pressure. took a chance and change the pump.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It takes breaking into the fuel system with a fabricated "T" and Gauge. I'd like to add that to mine, as long as it is 100% safe. Tiny leak = big fire. Congrats on the fix!

UPDATE: Well, that got me to thinking... here is the answer if you want to add a Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge Easy and Safe!

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63879

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
(J-44321) Fuel pressure gauge kit
(J-44321-6) Fuel pressure adapter

At the price they want for the gauge and quick connects I don't see any of us buying it. The location to attach it is on the driver's side of the engine. Once you start looking for it the hose and connector is pretty obvious. A disconnect tool is needed and a set of them is available from most auto parts stores. I think I got mine at Wal-mart.

The service manual also talks you through the process of replacing the fuel pump. Redrocket, how long did it take you to do the whole job? Did you ever have the fuel sender unit recall performed?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Ouch! The parts I found added to the other thread back in October, cost about $65 for the adapter, and you pay about $30 for a decent Autometer mechanical Gauge from Jegs. So, for $100, I plan to do it this summer. The Adapter I'll buy simply inserts into the exiting fuel rail, has an O-Ring to seal it, and an 1/8" FPT Port. 2 Bolts hold it in place. I can't imagine a safer set up than this. Here is the special adapter I will buy:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=EXT-MFF0004-350Z

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that recall hasnt been done since i owned the truck. it took about 4 hours to do but i had to pull it back out because i put the collar back on wronge and the guard would fit. and fyi the tank will not come out with the truck on the ground. once the tank is down the truck must be raised or it will not come out. i can see no real reason to install a fuel guage. its all stock. and since the pump install the fuel milage has really went up.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Go to the "User CP" at the top of the page and then go to the "Edit Avatar" link on the left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts