Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded a 03 frontier which had the 3.3L small v6 unlike the new beast 4.0L on this beast of a truck. I changed the oil in the frontier from 48k-94k and went to buy my first oil change today and seen that the Titan which holds 6.9quarts of oil takes the same oil filter as the 3.5quarts capacity small engine frontier?

The filter that a frontier took if space was an issue which on my 03 it wasn't was a **6607 and my buddy ran that filter on his CBR929RR and boy did I catch hell when he seen it in the garage. Because occasional I picked up a 6607 when the 7317 was out or something.

04-11 Titan= **7317
01-04 Frontier= **7317

Doesnt it seem a Titan with the huge 32valve beast with almost 3 and a half quart more capacity would need more filtering then a small v6 frontier or an honda motor cycle for crying out loud?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It uses the same filter as ALL newer Nissans. Probably the 4 bangers as well but I know all the V6s use the same filter as we do. They seem to do the job just fine to boot!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There is far more to filter selection than just size. Engine tolerances, expected contamination, filter media type, filter media density, oil change intervals, application of engine, etc. This has been a heavily discussed subject for obvious reason. The VK56DE has an excellent history. About the only engine failures have been due to failed cats being sucked into the combustion chamber, I never heard of an oil related failure of indication of excessive wear due to the filter the Nissan Engineers chose.

I'm not second guessing them. I've run OEM, WIX, and now M1 Filters with excellent Used Oil Analysis. Both with conventional 5W30 and M1. I now use M1EP and need to get a UOA on it very soon. Great engine!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Same filter as most Mazda's and Honda's. Even the 1.5 liter 'fun to drive', Honda Fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts