Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Titan 2WD SE, 110,000 miles, no modifications that I know of.

Wife called and said she was stranded. Everything was great, started the truck and was running really rough. She turned it off, restarted and it continued to run rough. She decided to try to make it home, which was about two miles from where she was. The truck would not go above 35 mph and seemed to only get worse. She decided to pull over and turn it off. She called me as I was on my way home from work and was about 5 mins away. When I got there, I had her start it...it started but sounded as if it was running on like 2 cylinders. I had her turn it off and re-start it, but now it wouldn't start. We towed it home and when I tried to start it, the battery was dead. Started to charge it and after about 5 mins of charging, I tried starting it and it sounded like it was fully charged and turnover strong, but would not start. After reading this board, below is what I've done so far, but it will not start.
- Bought new battery...turns over great but doesn't start
- Installed new ECM relay on the IPDM....still doesn't start
- No codes reported on scanner
- Checked all fuses under the hood with meter, all are good.
- Checked MAF sensor, appears squeaky clean
- When I turn the Key, I can hear a low whine (like a fat mosquito), but not sure from where. Sounds as if from engine compartment or underneath the engine. Whining continues until I turn the key completely off.
- When I try to start, I can smell gas from the driverside of engine compartment. Pretty strong.
- After sitting for a day, I tried to start and it sounded for a second it was going to fire but quickly said no. Try to start it right afterwards and its back to no indication that it is going to start.
-I've made sure the gas cap was on good with 5 clicks.
- After failing to start and turning key off, there is a crap ton of clicking coming from the IPDM and the throttle body.
- Started to pull the o2 sensors, but they are on there really good (almost seized) so I was afraid I was going to do more harm than good...decided to post here instead.

Here is where I show my ignorance...If I smell gas when I try to start it, does that mean the fuel pump is working and sending fuel? The 15amp fuse is good.
Would clogged catalytic converters cause these symptoms? This is why I was trying to pull the 02 sensors located before the cat converters. Does anyone have any advice...such as cleaning the throttle body or anything I haven't thought of...remember I am limited in my mechanical abilities :)

Sorry for the novel, I was just trying to give as much info as I could...and again, I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There is a thread on TT that was recently updated where the member smelled gas. Here it is: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/44930-smell-gas.html. Maybe it will help, but it doesn't sound good for your engine.

The whine sound should be the fuel pump operating. It might be worth checking the fuel pump pressure where the fuel line comes into the engine (driver's side I believe).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding :) I've read that thread and checked the areas that it mentioned, but no leaks. I am to the point of waving the white flag, plus my wife is started to get aggravated that I have the truck half apart (her words) and haven't found the problem. I was hoping it was something easy, plus after reading on here about similar issues, it appears this problem has a tendency to trick dealership mechanics and experienced mechanics. Basically I am worried I will end up throwing money at it until the right fix is found. I have had the truck for 7 years and put 110,000+ miles and this is the first real problem I have had...still love her :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts