Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 Titan KC in June of 2004. I told the salesman that I was going to get a5th wheel trailer. He said I should have no problem towing. I found out in Dec that Nissan does not recommend towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer and that doing so would void my warranty. I have talked to several different people in Nissan customer service and warranty departments. No one can give me areason why I can not tow a 5th wheel. Has anyone else been told this or have any information? :(

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
That just sound totally out of line to me! Nissan features towing ability in their marketing. Pulling a fifth wheel creates much less strain on a vehicle then a traditional frame hitch does. That makes no sense to me what so ever! I think I would bypass the dealer, and contact Nissan Corporate to see what they have to say. Please keep us informed as to anything more you find out.

On a side note, I can not find anything in the owners manual saying not to tow a fifth wheel, so how could they possibly void your warranty? Who told you that?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have talked to a supv. at the Nissan's warranty department. "She stated that the engineers advise that the vehicle is not made to support a 5h wheel hitch. She stated that putting after market parts on the truck could void our warranty."

Puting a 5th wheel hitch on the Titan would void my warranty if the dealership determined that what ever problem I am have has been caused by towing a 5th wheel. It's not in the owner's manual or the Nissan Towing Guide. I found out about it because when I was trying to get the towing guide a salesman gave me a photo copy of the Sales Talk/ sept 2004.

That's the first time I heard anything about not being able to tow a 5th wheel and protect my warranty. If you want to call Nissan warranty the number is 800-258-7008.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
My question is, how can they say they will void your warranty if they say nothing about it in the owners manual? What if you had not been in a forum, just read your manual, and had a fifth wheel hitch installed. I don't see how they could get away with it!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
barlie, here is a link to reese fifth wheel hitches for the Titan.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Titan&category=5w&year=2004&make=Nissan&t1=&h=e

I have been talking to JetTech about this, and he called Reese. Reese states that they have sold and installed many fifth wheel hitches for the Titan, never hearing of any warranty issues! Suggest you contact Nissan consumer affairs with this. Again, they use towing ability in the marketing of this truck, and they don't say in writing anywhere that you can not use a fifth wheel hitch. I really don't see how they can void the warranty when you are not abusing the truck by using it to tow!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I just called Nissan consumer affairs about this issue. Get a load of this....They advised me to call a dealer to get specifics of the warranty, so at least the woman offered to call a dealer that was not too far from me and ask them herself. The dealer said it "probably" would void the warranty but didn't give any specifics as to why.

What a joke.... :roll:

I can only think of one reason the dealers are taking this stance and that is it is a "modification", of which they will not cover any problems resulting from any modifications, as it is stated in the warranty booklet.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more specific than that. This would be a very frustrating issue for those who are looking to install a 5th wheel.

The most frustrating part is Corporate Nissan taking the dealerships word for it..... 8O Now that's scary!!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Well if that is the case, anybody that installs their own hitch could get slammed for any driveline problems! (voided warranty)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Technically Bill "anything" we modify on our Titans, exhaust, intake, etc. etc. could be reason for a warranty denial.

And do you see that stopping a lot of us here??? Oh heck no. I also seriusly doubt this is in contrast to other manufacturers as well. It appears any warranty issue is up to the local dealerships, which of course could go either way depending on "who you know" and what kind of relationship you have with your service dept.

If it was me concerning this 5th wheel topic, I would install one in a heartbeat. BUT, I would also make sure that I knew how to remove that hitch if anything happened. Know what I mean??? CYA!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts