Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of 300 mile trips pulling my Coleman Key West Pop Up Camper. Pulling the hills of the Pa. turnpike I was always in the 9 to 10 MPG range. I recently decided to make some changes to my truck and lowered it to 4" of lift and took my 35" BFG AT tires off and for now have the stock wheels and tires on. Last week I went on the first trip of the year with this set up and was absolutly amazed!!!!! I got 13.9 going out, and 13.4 coming back back home. I had no idea I was taking that big a hit on gas mileage by running the big tires. I have decided that no matter how much I like the look, I am not going back with todays gas prices!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
You probably also noticed improved performance.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh absolutely, as well as handling!

·
Registered
612 Posts
The big wheels and tires throw off the gearing but also the odometer reading. You might have been getting better than the 9 mpg. Did you check the mileage reading on the odometer against measured miles? Larger diameter tires turn fewer times so the odometer takes longer to click over. But still, you will notice marked improvement with the stock sized tires and wheels in economy, performance and handling on the highway. Maybe just use the big wheels and tires when you go off road. By the way, how much does the trailer, the equipment, passengers, luggage, weigh?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the bigger diameter in the calculations of mpg, I have a size calculater that does it for me. I have no idea what the combined weight is, but its the same as it always has been.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know but if your stock tires are those rugged trails wear those out and check out the michelns at discount your mpg might even go up ! I got the at/2 and going on 80000 miles great ride and no hydroplaning.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I all ready have the Michelin LTX 2 MS bought and paid for from DTD, just waiting for the wheels I picked to come in from backorder.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Man that sound great I bet you are ready. michelins are the best I put over 80 thou on mine and never even had a flat

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am chomping at the bit and dealing with a 45 day wait on the wheels!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here UPS hereUPS good luck your not looking out the window are you? hahaha

·
Registered
334 Posts
BTW those tires are topof the line ( Iam sure you know) what size didyou get and price shipped?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got 275x70x18. Hard to say exact price as I was working with them on a wheel tire package with a wheel they did not carry in stock. I got some discounts and free shipping and was very satisfied with the deal Discount Tire direct gave me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Free shipping is GOOD I will have to check them out when ready. I see you have 18's did your 04 come with 18's or did you swap out the 17's mine is 04 but with the 17' rims? I an considering go to the larger rim. thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the SE without the Off Road package which came with 18s, the Off Road package came with 17s.

I can't say enough about my dealings with Discount tire Direct, they have bent over backwards to give me what I want at a fair price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts