Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I know this might seem like a stupid question but I was wondering when we tow with our trucks I know we need to be in 4th gear but is this also true when crusing on the highway even around 65-75mph? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
If you are not towing use 5th unless you are going up steep grades, then 4th would be better.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
You can use 5th if the transmission temp doesn't go up, and the converter stays locked.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I know nothing on towing but am curious about this. what are the conditions on gears 1-5?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I pull a large pop up camper with the bed of the truck filled with stuff accross the hills and valleys of Pa interstates. I am going to say I am in 5th at least 90% of the time, only dropping down on the most severe long grades that I can not keep the converter locked.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It totally depends on the trailer and situations.... My TT weighs around 6300-lbs and my boat around 5500-lbs... I can keep the boat in 5th most of the time but the TT can only be in 5th when driving downhill.... Also, FWIW, 75mph is too fast to be towing any trailer IMHO, you better have a good Sway Control Hitch on that sucka. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have a 12 foot enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer it can't weight more than 3500lbs fully loaded. At 75 the truck and trailer feel very good. Why would you think that's to fast. For the truck or trailer? Thanks

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I only have a 12 foot enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer it can't weight more than 3500lbs fully loaded. At 75 the truck and trailer feel very good. Why would you think that's to fast. For the truck or trailer? Thanks
You should be fine in 5th regardless....

Unpredicted SWAY is the reason... I've towed plenty of rental trailers and cannot count the number of times that I was cruising along just fine so I creeped it up close to 70 to set the cruise control and while rolling along after about 15-30 mins, WHAM I got nailed by by a sudden gust of side wind that sent the trailer into a tizzy... It's happened more than once and on perfectly calm summer days, it's happened when empty as well as loaded, and I always load the nose about 20% heavier than the tail when possible. I can't imagine if I'd been going 75mph because I every time I had to crank her down close to about 50mph to regain control... 65mph has been my max anymore unless I'm using a Sway Control Hitch.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Also depends on wheel base. My pickup feelsmmore stable then the suv.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Also depends on wheel base. My pickup feelsmmore stable then the suv.
That might also be a Cadillac -vs- Escalade thing... I've towed my 5500-lbs boat across town behind a 2010 Titan... It feels more stable behind the Armada. Of course there's more differences than just wheelbase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think wheel base and trailer weight distribution makes a big difference. Also tandum axle versus single axle trailer. I test drove a SWB quad cab and a LWB quad cab. I had the SWB for a few days to test out and pulled the boat with it (tandum axle trailer). The LWB felt much more stable and my primary reason was for towing/hauling so the LWB was a easy decision.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I towed a 12x6 Uhaul through PA and West Virginia, I don't think it weighed much more then 3500 lbs loaded, but I just left it in fifth with Tow mod on and the truck did fine even on the steeper grades.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're going that fast towing... well I just hope the jersey boys in blue find you... you deserve it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
towing in 4th

i think 4th is for 2 things.
1. power
2. cooling

at 75 mph you have lots of air flow...but also require about 50% more power than cruising at 60 mph. more power required means more fuel and more heat generated.
if you can "cruise" at 75 in 5th, while towing your toy, and the tranny does not shift down to 4th at the slightest head wind, or the slightest grade, and the engine does not overheat then why not? (remember that every shift of tranny adds heat to the transmission fluid) Maybe that nissan made 5th gear a lighter duty gear, but i doubt it. I tow a 2000lb flatbed in 5th, but on slight grades it wants to gear down, so i stay in 4th.

caution here....i would not cruise at 75 with any trailer on back, because the control required at that speed if anything should go wrong, is simply not available.

I can tell you a story of what I once saw happen, and it was speed and speed alone that caused it....trust me you do not want to see this, never mind experience it...mind you it would be a good story.:thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've been towing cars on trailers for about 20 years. I agree -- slow down!
Another factor is center of gravity. A Titan has a very high center of gravity, 2WD or 4WD, and so do most trailers. Not only is there sway, but there is yaw and roll. You get a trailer doing any of these things and its a disaster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts