Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum. Second owner. 2005 Titan 5.6L Club Cab. 65,000 miles. No towing package. Wanting to pull a 24 foot race car trailer that weighs about 7500# fully loaded. Class IV hitch. Electric brake hooked into wiring harness. Will use weight distribution hitch.

I've read the posts in this section. Have noted caution to use 4th gear. (That's not in my operator's manual that I can find.) The truck has a "tow mode" switch. Here are my questions:

To keep it in 4th do I switch to manual shifting by depressing button at end of swift lever? And depress "tow mode" switch?

Is another transmission cooler recommended? Addition of a tranmission temperature gauge?

Operator's manual says differential oil and transmission fluid should be changed more often. How often? Every 30K?

What differences exist between truck with and without the tow package? (Nissan Corporate and local Nissan dealers seem to have no clue.)

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 06 CC LE 4x4 w/tow package handles our 25 foot boat very well.. I am towing 7000 pounds and my tighten handles it Good.. Yes get trans cooler and dash gauge.. If tire sizes on truck have been changed from stock.. Bigger then stock.. You have a gearing and lack of power problem.. Race car riggs are heavier then they appear.. I are you sure a is Titan best choise for that job ??..

Don't get me wrong,, I seldom see a better looking tow package on the road.. Driving daily and towing hard on weekend race days work a truck hard.. If you are new to towing or if your trailer and tow vehicle are not balanced properly,, thing go bad fast..
Sounds like your using a good hitch set up.. If you tow on highway or encounter hills you'll find holding 55-65 on any thing more then a slight grade requires a manual grab of second gear and a whole lot of load pedal... Good luck at the races..
How many other race car trailers are being towed be Ricers.. ??

What is the world coming too..??

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your 05 doesn't have a trans temp guage, it looks like you don't have the big tow package. Big tow takes the towing capacity to a max 9500 lb from the non-big tow of 6500 lb. Big tow and regular Ts have the same trans. cooling, but Big Tow adds the lower gears (3.36:1), higher capacity battery, extendable tow mirrors on SE and LE and the trans temp guage. Either way, you need to tow with the tow mode button pushed and yes, push in the button on the shifter to lock out overdrive and put it in 4th gear. Yes, you should change out the trans and rear end at 30,000, but don't flush, just a drain and fill. Use synthetic only in the rear. There was a thread recently posted on adding another external trans cooler which by-passes the trans cooler in the radiator. You can add additional trans and rear cooling by installing higher capacity pans. Burtman, a sponsor, sells these.

·
Registered
276 Posts
New to forum. Second owner. 2005 Titan 5.6L Club Cab. 65,000 miles. No towing package. Wanting to pull a 24 foot race car trailer that weighs about 7500# fully loaded. Class IV hitch. Electric brake hooked into wiring harness. Will use weight distribution hitch.

I've read the posts in this section. Have noted caution to use 4th gear. (That's not in my operator's manual that I can find.) The truck has a "tow mode" switch. Here are my questions:

To keep it in 4th do I switch to manual shifting by depressing button at end of swift lever? And depress "tow mode" switch?

Is another transmission cooler recommended? Addition of a tranmission temperature gauge?

Operator's manual says differential oil and transmission fluid should be changed more often. How often? Every 30K?

What differences exist between truck with and without the tow package? (Nissan Corporate and local Nissan dealers seem to have no clue.)
Since your truck has the "tow mode" switch I have to ask, is there a trans temp gauge in your instrument cluster? If yes then your truck does in fact have the "big tow" package, but someone removed the hitch. I would also ask about what mirrors you have, but too many people swap mirrors too often, so I don't consider that a tell-tale sign. The "big tow" package gives you taller gearing (but the same gears that come on the "off road" package), a trans temp gauge, larger capacity battery, the larger extendable mirrors, stiffer spring rate, Class IV hitch and RV 7-pin wiring. I have towed a good deal with my T and have had no related issues. At the max, I tow a skidsteer which weighs in around 9300 (including trailer) and have done so at times with the plow on the front of the truck as well. I do not just run 4th gear, I turn on the tow mode and away I go, never gets past mid-way on either the engine or trans temp. Hopefully this helps you out a bit. I have no experience with the "non tow" equipped trucks, as all 3 Titans in the family are "big tow".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts