Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Nissan Titan with pretty low miles. It has 76,000 miles. The trans fluid has never been changed. Dealer recommends not changing the fluid and filter if it was not done at 30,000 and doesn't slip. Other mechanics are saying change it. What say ye?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Nissan Titan with pretty low miles. It has 76,000 miles. The trans fluid has never been changed. Dealer recommends not changing the fluid and filter if it was not done at 30,000 and doesn't slip. Other mechanics are saying change it. What say ye?
A couple thought: 1. Definitely change it, and as noted, remove the cover and look it over/clean it out. 2. these years are prone to the "strawberry milkshake of death" where the transmission fluid is run into the a compartment in the radiator. If the transmission fluid piping inside the radiator develops a crack antifreeze mix gets into the transmission fluid and there is nearly instantaneous destruction of the transmission. I had it happen to my 2010 Armada. Same engine/transmission as yours. I strongly recommend having the transmission plumbed to an external transmission cooler and no longer into the radiator. Transmission coolers are inexpensive, though there is labor to plumbing them. Time to do that is when the transmission is drained for sure ! If this happens to you, a remanufactured Nissan transmission may not be available, and if it is, you are in $4K plus labor charges most likely. And simultaneously replacing the radiator which is now contaminated with transmission fluid. If you intend to keep this truck for the future, this is worth doing as long as you are doing anything with the transmission. Strawberry milkshake is well documented on this blog and elsewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts