Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow TITAN owners, I hope someone has had the problem I have had with my trans, and it was an easy fix, Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I just read sticky/s article about the shifting problems that may occur. That has happened to me. I just drove from NJ to Minnesota for the EAGLES/Vikings game, GO BIRDS< anyways, the truck ran great except for when I went to step on it to pass someone, it would bog down, and start bucking, not allowing me to pass or gain more speed. It would even do it as I was in cruise control, and it had to drop down a gear to go up a slight hill. If I let off the gas, and let it slow down, I could very easliy ease it back to the speed I was going. This has happened before and the dealer said there was nothing wrong. They said they checked the trans with the computer. I am starting not to trust them. The truck is a 2004 with 71,000 on it. Like I said, the article sounds like my problem, but me being as dumb as I am I am not completly sure. Any help? Thanks again and keep on rollin..... :sneeze::duh:

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I don't think there is a problem with the transmission. A bad fuel pump or clogged cats is more likely the problem.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had the same problem for a while, I pulled my entire exhaust system and sure enough it was the cats.... I have a 4WD so it has the two sets of cats. What had happened was the first set (closest to engine)had started disintegrating and clogged the second set. I popped out the remainder of the cores and it ran perfectly. Now i just have to get rid of those O2 sensor codes.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had that happen to me by adding a can of gas I had in the garage.Was 8 months old and don't really know if I put stabil in it 2 or three times.Anyway the bad gas was just enough to have the knock sensor cut back the rpm's at around 4000 rpm.I removed the 2*adv. and filled up with gas and everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It also sounds like it could be a bad spark plug or plug wire. Have each wire checked to be sure its not shorting against something like the valve cover. After 71K miles with all that juice going through them, the plug wires are probably shot. Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
It also sounds like it could be a bad spark plug or plug wire. Have each wire checked to be sure its not shorting against something like the valve cover. After 71K miles with all that juice going through them, the plug wires are probably shot. Let us know what the problem turns out to be.
The Titan doesn't have spark plug wires.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
couldn't it POSSIBLY be a bad MAF? my 96 Maxima, would buck and wouldnt let me go above like 40MPH sometimes....i would hold the pedal on the floor and there i was going 40MPH, then it would suddenly catch and rocket me forward, it actuallt stalled a few times too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stopped at the dealer 2 day, and had a tech ride with me, of course it didnt do at first, but then it started to do it. He said the same thing, sounds like a cat problem. He told me to take it back in when the check engine lite comes back on. I checked the lite before and it was p0420 cat prob. I erased it a few times, shouldnt have, and it would come back and go away. Thanks, he said the cat was under warranty up to 80,000 so hopefully the light will come back on soon... Thanks for keeping my sanity, thought it would need a new tranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem for a while, I pulled my entire exhaust system and sure enough it was the cats.... I have a 4WD so it has the two sets of cats. What had happened was the first set (closest to engine)had started disintegrating and clogged the second set. I popped out the remainder of the cores and it ran perfectly. Now i just have to get rid of those O2 sensor codes.....

What was your Solution to the other codes??? I have an 04 n Hello covid unemployment n being broke idk what to do I punched out the fronts need to check the back but I got 02 codes all over the place. Mostly LR bank 3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts