Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try to clear up a few questions I've had recently concerning the A/T and Power Steering External Coolers. Unfortunately I led one of our members astray the other day who was asking about the A/T external cooler. I got my lines crossed and wanted to try to clear things up.

First of all, from what I've read and what I've seen, ALL Titans have these two coolers. BUT, I would be really interested in hearing from some of our members who do NOT have the Big Tow package, if they have these also (of which you should) just to make sure we're all on the same page and my information is correct. I would also like to hear from some of the 05 owners as well just in case Nissan decided to cut costs in a very discreet way and eliminate these coolers.

So here's some pics and I'll try to describe them as best as possible.

This first pic is a shot on the right side (passenger side) of the radiator looking forward. It shows the 2 A/T external cooler lines disappearing in front of the radiator. The cooler is sandwiched in between the radiator and the A/C condensor.

This pic is looking at the A/T cooler, of which you can barely see under the flap I'm holding back.

This pic is looking down at the 2 Power Steering cooler lines located on top of the left frame rail. This is located on the drivers side looking down.

This pic is of the Power Steering External Cooler of which is located on the left side (drivers side) in front of the A/C condensor.

So there you have it, please let me know if you all have the same thing irregardless of Big Tow or not.

Thanks,

Dale

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Another great post, JT. I am going to check out my Armada with the Big Tow and see if it has the same setup.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks scr....... This whole topic came to mind because recently one of our members had an external transmission cooler installed and I advised him to look at the wrong lines.... :oops: http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1184.html

Anyhow, that's my reason for doing this and also to find out if the 05's are the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the pics, that will help my trans temp gauge install tomorrow. The first pic showing the ext line at top of radiator on passenger side is where I recently had a problem. I installed a heavy duty aftermarket trans. cooler, and that line started leaking the next few days. I took it back to Uhaul, and it looks like it may have been due to added pressure from the new cooler possibly, not sure. We used a heavier type of clamp and it took care of the problem. I only had a few drops in my garage, but the skid plate was drenched. Something to look out for. I do have those lines on my 04 XE, no tow package. Dealer told me they are there on all Titans, but aren't "used" unless the tow package is installed. Hopefully someone will have more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One more thing, my external cooler was installed on the driver side directly in front of the radiator. Common sense would tell ME, that Uhaul would have seen the stock cooler if there, and told me the Titan was already equipped with a cooler, but it is Uhaul after all so who knows. I'll take a look tomorrow first chance I get.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roadie114 said:
Thanks for the pics, that will help my trans temp gauge install tomorrow. The first pic showing the ext line at top of radiator on passenger side is where I recently had a problem. I installed a heavy duty aftermarket trans. cooler, and that line started leaking the next few days. I took it back to Uhaul, and it looks like it may have been due to added pressure from the new cooler possibly, not sure. We used a heavier type of clamp and it took care of the problem. I only had a few drops in my garage, but the skid plate was drenched. Something to look out for. I do have those lines on my 04 XE, no tow package. Dealer told me they are there on all Titans, but aren't "used" unless the tow package is installed. Hopefully someone will have more info. Thanks.
roadie, did you add any ATF to compensate for your loss of fluid from the leak and the added capacity of the cooler?? If not go to the how to section and make sure to check your fluid level.

Also I've been trying to find where you could put a temp. sensor and I keep coming up with nothing. The service manual doesn't specifically state where the factory one is located. If you're having trouble locating a good place for the sensor let me know and I'll go out and find it on my truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, already took care of the extra fluid and leak, I'm planning on installing it in the line from the trans to the cooler where it's the hottest.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
roadie114 said:
Yep, already took care of the extra fluid and leak, I'm planning on installing it in the line from the trans to the cooler where it's the hottest.
I have perhaps a dumb question when it comes to the location of the sensor. How do you know what's an acceptable temp. and what isn't? I ask this because if you place this in the hottest section, is that comparable to where the factory one is located?? I'm certainly not trying to change your mind on where to install it, but if it's in a different location then the factory sensor, you may be reading REALLY high temps. when there's a possibility that Nissan is concerned with the temp. of the fluid from a different location. Did I just confuse the heck out of you??? I think I did myself... :lol: :lol:

Kind of like getting an oil temp reading right after it drips off the skirt of the pistons......Does any of this make any sense? Tell you what, let me go out and find that little sensor and I'll get right back to you.

I would just hate to see you install that thing and then be alarmed at a really high reading when it should have been read somewhere else. Does that make any sense...?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went out and looked and I think I've come to the conclusion that the sending unit is located inside the transmission. There is no sign of any external sending units on it. That leads me to believe that all the trans. have one, the only difference is if there is a gauge in the cluster panel to pick up the circuit. Can anyone else comment on this???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was going to place it pretty much anywhere in the lines that was simple to reach, find a reference point when not towing, and then see how much it goes up, if any, when towing. That will give me a good idea of where the temp is. My gauge reads from 100-250.

I removed the panel around the radio. Do I need to remove anything else before the main dash where the 4x4 switch is? It's pretty tight, does the glove comp. or cup holder panel need to go?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's an excellent idea roadie, you'll surely be able to establish a "norm" using your method. Please take lots of photos when you do this because this would make a great How To Article for those who are interested in adding a gauge too.

As far as your question concerning the panel.....hmmm. I've had the whole darn thing apart and I'm trying to remember the sequence. After you pop out the radio face panel you should be able to get behind there. No???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can, I didn't realize the 4x4 switch location just popped out. It's hard to access the pass. cig lighter though. Any better idea as to where to get 12v ignition and 12v source?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
There are two transmission temp sensors, both internal. One appears to be near the torque converter (where you will probably see the highest temps) and the other appears to be in the pan. Both output to the TCM. I don't know if the factory gauge is reading one or the other or a average of both. The gauge gets its input from the TCM. I would put the gauge in the hotest line, before going to any coolers. Watch the temp driving under normal conditions (no trailer/heavy load) and get a baseline, or normal temp. When you know what the normal is it will be easy to know when the temp is getting high. The line out from the transmission (before coolers) will react most quickly to a rise in temp; I think this is what you want to monitor.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roadie114 said:
I can, I didn't realize the 4x4 switch location just popped out. It's hard to access the pass. cig lighter though. Any better idea as to where to get 12v ignition and 12v source?
I used the 12V line off the trailer brake connector for my radar detector. Finding a 12v source is not an easy task. Man I'm coming up with blanks on how to get to this stuff. Sorry. When I'm doing it it's no problem but trying to remember how I did it is another story.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scr38 said:
There are two transmission temp sensors, both internal. One appears to be near the torque converter (where you will probably see the highest temps) and the other appears to be in the pan. Both output to the TCM. I don't know if the factory gauge is reading one or the other or a average of both. The gauge gets its input from the TCM. I would put the gauge in the hotest line, before going to any coolers. Watch the temp driving under normal conditions (no trailer/heavy load) and get a baseline, or normal temp. When you know what the normal is it will be easy to know when the temp is getting high. The line out from the transmission (before coolers) will react most quickly to a rise in temp; I think this is what you want to monitor.
Excellent post scr. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
roadie114 said:
Its not hard to get to the lighter. Remove the "C" and "D" panels. These drawings are of an Armada, but the Titan is about the same.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
roadie114 said:
JetTech, the hotter AT line is the one on top of the radiator on the pass side right?
I have absolutely no idea......Let me look at the service manual and see if it specifies which is which because it's not noted on the transmission case.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I can't see anything in the service manual that identifies which line is which. I would drive the truck until up to temp, (manual says about 10 minutes) then feel the lines with the enging running. You should be able to determine which line is the warmer.
Other info that may be of use:
A fluid temp of 122-176 F is considered normal. 194 is the "hot" point. When techs use the Consult unit to check transmission temps it looks at Sensor 1.

·
Registered
52 Posts
scr38 said:
roadie114 said:
Its not hard to get to the lighter. Remove the "C" and "D" panels. These drawings are of an Armada, but the Titan is about the same.
I have the bench seat, no center console. Seems different, the drawings only show D coming off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts