Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 35k on the Titan now and I'm ready to do the transmission oil change. The problem is my dealer wants to charge me $300 to do what they call a full system flush. Does this even sound right? I pretty much laughed in thier faces.Anyways they tell me that the filter in the T cannot be changed and must be flushed. I spoke to about 8 different transmission shops around town and none of them give me the same answer. Some say you can change the filter some say no. What are you guys doing when you change your fluids. I was just going to drop the fluid by using the drain plug on the pan and re-fill whatever I took out. Is this the way to go? and if so, how much fluid do I need to buy. I searched the forums but didn't see any exact numbers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would recomend a full flush, the transmission I think holds 12 quarts. If you just drain it you will only get like 4 quarts out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is not a filter in the transmission that requires servicing. Nissan Trans fluid is very expensive. A flush will serve you the best for the long run, but a drain and refill will suffice. Remember a flush will exchange practically 100% of the fluid, and a drain and refill gets roughly a third of the fluid.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Call around, you shouldnt have to pay more than $200 for the full flush which personally id do with 35k on the truck. I believe its more like 16 qts for the full flush. You can do a spill and fill yourself just for the cost of the tranny fluid around 5 qts but call a dealership and make sure first.
You will definitely feel the difference when you do either way.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I did the flush but the dealer charged me 200 not 300 and they had a machine dedicated to Matic J. It's also nice to have a Nissan dealer invoice that says you flushed it if any problems arise. Good luck, I think I may just buy a couple of containers and do it myself if I can't get it done cheap, fluid can be had for about 7-8.00 a quart so it's tempting.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you guys really want to do a full change of the fluid without doing a flush (which Nissan says is a no-no) then read this thread over at TT.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you guys really want to do a full change of the fluid without doing a flush (which Nissan says is a no-no) then read this thread over at TT.
This is the approach I am going to take, as I am slightly overdue. I don't trust any dealer to do a full flush. I think most do a 5 qt. drain and fill even though they tell you they do a flush. My dealerships service dept. does not have the power flush machine for matic J, but I know the Infinity dealer down the road does. But after getting the letter from Nissan about not doing a power flush, it's just too easy to do yourself using the method that username descibes in the link posted by HRKTD.

edit; I will definitly send a sample to Blackstone labs when I do my flush,since the fluid had 61,000 miles on it with about 15,000 of them pulling a 5000 lb trailer in summer heat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just did a drain and replace on my truck at 39000 I sent my sample off to Blackstone as well and their recommendation was to go ahead and leave the fluid in . I let them know that I have done several thousand miles of towing (one trip to Idaho and back we were at almost 15000 lbs combined) and also had some high transmission temps but they said there was no indication of burnt oil.

My Nissan service guy said a drain and replace was all that was needed just make sure and document and save receipts . I also let him know that I sent my fluid off to be analyzed. I guess I am fortunate to have a service department that doesn't try to pressure me to have them do all the work.

I also thought there was some kind of service bulletin from Nissan that warned about the transmission flush.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Npsb/07-027

Google NPSB/07-027 and read for yourself than decide what to do. Drain and fill in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Do not flush! Drop the pan, clean it and the screen, then reinstall the pan and refill.

·
Registered
765 Posts
When you say "do not flush", are you talking about power flushing? My intention was to do a pan drop, fill, then run another 5 qts. out of the cooler lines like described in the service manual.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
When you say "do not flush", are you talking about power flushing? My intention was to do a pan drop, fill, then run another 5 qts. out of the cooler lines like described in the service manual.
Yes, no power flush. It will be OK to run the fluid out the cooler line.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do not flush! Drop the pan, clean it and the screen, then reinstall the pan and refill.
That's what I did. Had to see the magnets for myself. They were clean of metal.
I also replaced the gasket and used new bolts with locktite.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I copy that, clean and refill. But might you recommend which fluid to top it back off with...only Nissan J? I am not sure what/which fluid is in the tranny, I bought the truck used. It's a 2004 Titan....Most appreciated! Al

1 - 17 of 17 Posts