Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 08 CC 2wd when I get up to about 60 mph and the tranny shifts into OD there is a irritating resonance, almost sounds like exhaust (only under light acceleration or just to maintain speed) when I shift it out of OD by pressing the manual button on the shifter lever the tranny down shifts into 4th and the noise goes away. any Ideas?

·
Registered
317 Posts
if your running the rpms at about 1500-1700 its just the exhaust...its called drone. could also be be a bracket or something vibrating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think its the exhaust because it only happens in overdrive. if it was exhaust it would happen in any gear at the same RPM? wouldn't it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
you do have a drone to a certain extent in every gear but it is most noticeable at about 1600 rpm in OD. if you lock out OD and cruise in 4th, you will hear the same drone but just at a higher note then in OD because of the ratio in which the engine has work with. not to mention the torque converter is locked at that point which just amplifies the sound. play with 4th (which the torque converter will also lock out in), at the same rpm that you here the sound in OD, and see if it duplicates. not saying that it is exhaust, but by your description and the fact that im not there to hear it myself, sounds like it is.

if it isnt exhaust there are numerous things it could be but the tranny isnt one that i would guess. more like a bad carrier bearing, wheel bearing, something vibrating(could be anything), outta balance driveshaft, or maybe a bad pinion angle. you would have other signs beyond just a noise with nearly any of those though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts