Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put a Transmission out of a 2008 2x4 Titan into my 2004 2x4 Titan?

What information do I need to check to make sure it is compatible?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am unsure but around 08 Nissan was in the process of switching to Consult III from II so you should check into that difference. It may mean nothing but it may mean something so idk. Only other thing to check is if the gear ratios are the same which I believe they are. Only ones that I would see being different from the seat of my pants is the 2wd vs. 4wd version but since you are 2wd to 2wd, you should not have an issue there either.

SideNote: Why are you looking into a trans swap? What is wrong with your current one that requires a new/used unit and not just a nice rebuild?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am unsure but around 08 Nissan was in the process of switching to Consult III from II so you should check into that difference. It may mean nothing but it may mean something so idk. Only other thing to check is if the gear ratios are the same which I believe they are. Only ones that I would see being different from the seat of my pants is the 2wd vs. 4wd version but since you are 2wd to 2wd, you should not have an issue there either.

SideNote: Why are you looking into a trans swap? What is wrong with your current one that requires a new/used unit and not just a nice rebuild?

My transmission is starting to slip under minor trailer loads and at high RPMS.

I can get a complete 2008 Titan transmission with 175miles on it for $800. And I can do the swap my self. so it seems like a good idea if its all Remove & Replace.

Thanks for the help... Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There are rumors that the more recent transmission (2010/2011 ?) had a change to it that seems to involved coming ot a stop. Something to do with an attempt to improve fuel economy. I'm not too familiar with it as you can tell. Since it is a 2008 transmission it's probably OK. You could contact the dealer and compare part numbers on the entire transmission assemblies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:weird-big::weird-big::weird-big:
There are rumors that the more recent transmission (2010/2011 ?) had a change to it that seems to involved coming ot a stop. Something to do with an attempt to improve fuel economy. I'm not too familiar with it as you can tell. Since it is a 2008 transmission it's probably OK. You could contact the dealer and compare part numbers on the entire transmission assemblies.

The guy at my local Nissan Dealership was pretty stupid and could not give me an answer. I think i am going to try and go in again and hope for a different parts guy. Was hopping to get a answer here. but it seems to be a item that is not discussed very often

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Go to Courtesy Parts and look at the different versions of the transmission. The link may take you to the list (with a number of spurious items in it that have nothing to do with the transmission) or it may force you to start all over. There are different versions of the transmission: 4x4 vs 4x2, tow/offroad vs not, and then there are the different years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to Courtesy Parts and look at the different versions of the transmission. The link may take you to the list (with a number of spurious items in it that have nothing to do with the transmission) or it may force you to start all over. There are different versions of the transmission: 4x4 vs 4x2, tow/offroad vs not, and then there are the different years.

Hey THANK YOU for all your help ( seriously, nothing more frustrating when you cant figure it out and then you come to the internet just hoping some one has some light to shine on the subject only to check back and find no responses to your question. So again thank you for all the help ).

I just got off the phone with a friend who has a friend at Nissan haha and he was basically saying the same thing. There are about 4 different transmissions available in 2004 depending on, like you said (tow pkg, non tow pkg, SE, XE, LE, 4x4 and 4x2)

So knowing that.... if I get the same model, options and pkges, will it make a straight swap even though the years are different.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I would give you a 90% chance of success if the 2008 is from a similar package (tow). What's the worst that can happen? You spend $800, install it and it won't work due to incompatibilities then you take it out and (hopefully) sell it for more than you paid for it. If you are installing it yourself then there is no labor cost. If you succeed then you can brag how you saved thousands of dollars in parts and labor. Even if you rebuilt (or even upgraded) the 2008 transmission you will likely have saved time over having removed the 2004 and rebuilt it.

Is the 2008 from a totalled Titan? That could be a bit iffy depending on how it was totalled. If you can find a friend that knows transmissions that can give it a visual OK that would be a good start. But you may not know if it's damaged until it's installed. I'm not sure I would pay $800 for a transmission out of a totalled vehicle without some assurance that it works.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The greatest issue would be compatibility in the programming of the TCU. And like you stated, it is simply not discussed much, little detail is really known. Physically, they should be identical. Gear Ratios never changed. 2WD vs 4WD is the addition of the transfer case and different Tranny Housing to accommodate that change. Realize that there are many variations in the ECU alone, within just one year. Details are simply not published, and the codes constantly are changed. That is what made UpRev such big news hen they cracked the codes. UpRev may have the answer for you. Call UpRev!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
That is what made UpRev such big news hen they cracked the codes. UpRev may have the answer for you. Call UpRev!
Good suggestion. The folks at Uprev are pretty busy (too much success) so you may not get a response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if i will swap my transmission, should i get the transmission a mild rebuild before i put it in or can i just shift through the gears and tell if everything is good and just throw it in the truck?

2009 Nissan Titan Crew Cab SE SWB Smoke, Superchips Cortex 93 Octane Tune (PN 4950), Transmission, Magnaflow Catback Rear Exit Dual Exhaust (PN 16781), Peragon Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Motorvator TBS, Injen Power Flow CAI, AVS in Channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Deflector, Armaden LED's (all interior and exterior lights), DDM Tuning Headlights 55W 6000k 9006's , HIDExtra High Beams 6000k 9005's

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If I was in your situation I would hedge my bet and do the rebuild. But with 175 miles on it there shouldn't be any need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 titan xe 2wd and needing a transmission how do I tell what kind of transmission to look for. Thanks for any tips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts