Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first the good news. The gauge fit perfectly and looks great where the 4x4 switch would be. The sender installed without leaks, no problems. I found 12v when the ignition is on from a plug that goes down by the tow mode switch that wasn't used on my XE. Only thing left is to install a fuse, and wire up the backlight for the gauge.

The bad news, gauge doesn't work. Needle comes up when truck is on and never rises above 100, and sender is getting hot enough that I can't leave my hand on it. It's installed in the line going to the ext. cooler that I had installed. I will check for continuity in the sender wire tomorrow. I used solid wire to aid in going through the firewall, but may have a break in it. If that's ok, then it looks like I have a bad sending unit. Hopefully I can get one sent out. Not sure if something like that is universal or available locally. I'll send pics when job is finished. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Excellent, I'm looking forward to the pics. This will make an excellent how to...

Thanks roadie and just FYI, it does sound like you have either a bad sending unit or it's not getting a good ground...

G

·
Roadie, JT makes a good point. Sending units usually ground the gauge (the resistance varies with temp). How did you install the sender in the line? If you used a T in the rubber lines the gauge won't work because you don't have a ground. The body of the sending unit must be grounded to the chassis or engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm....I used a T fitting and put it inline in the 3/8" flex line going to the ext. cooler, no ground. The only ground is from the gauge in the dash. I didn't think about that, you think I need to ground the sending unit? If I ground it, it's basically grounding out the sending wire also.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
roadie114 said:
Hmm....I used a T fitting and put it inline in the 3/8" flex line going to the ext. cooler, no ground. The only ground is from the gauge in the dash. I didn't think about that, you think I need to ground the sending unit? If I ground it, it's basically grounding out the sending wire also.
Did the sending unit come with any wiring diagrams? It surely sounds like your missing a ground to the gauge or the sending unit. How about checking online with the manufacturer of the sending unit and the gauge. I bet you'll find the information there. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It came with universal instructions that are pretty much useless. But all it has is 5 wire studs. 12v ignition, ground, sending unit, backlight 12v, backlight ground.

Backlight isn't hooked up yet, shouldn't matter. Nothing shows that the sender needs to be grounded though. I'll check again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mistake, instructions do say that sender SHOULD be automatically grounded, if not then it needs to be. I didn't notice a plastic grommet protecting the inner part of the sender. That's my problem. Thanks!!

Now I have to figure out a way to ground the T fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
If you have to just run a seperate ground wire. It appears scr38 NAILED this one on the head!!!! We know who to go to if any of us have a wiring problem now... :) Thanks scr, you the man!!

G

·
I'm sure it will work correctly when you get the sending unit grounded. You could use a small hose clamp (the SS worm gear type would be best). Wrap a wire (insulation stripped) around the T where the sending unit screws in and secure it with the clamp. Find a good ground point and fasten the other end of the wire there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BINGO!! Got the gauge to register, up to 125 so far, only drove it for 10 min. though. I'm going to use the clamp for the T fitting. I'll try to post pics tomorrow, thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tested my trans temp gauge today. Drove up to Oak Glen (about 5000'), and the gauge read 195 at the top of the hill, but dropped down to 100 on the way down. Never climbed above 125 after that. I have it connected to one of the ext cooling lines, not sure if it's in or out.

Let's see if the pic's work.

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Man that looks excellent. Perfect fit in there. Good job.
M4ck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts