Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 XD 5.6L Gasser with the 7-speed transmission. Most of the time (hot or cold) it will shift from 1st-4th gears normally, then it will not go to 5th & higher until I get up to 40 mph. In other words, if I cruise steadily at 35-39 mph, it is in 4th and stays there. Only very rarely will it go into 5th or 6th without staying forever in 4th gear when cruising below 40 mph. I took it back to the dealer and they updated the ECM and TCM. Then, the Service Manager and I took a test ride. It still did it. He said that the transmission is controlled by the computer, and that it changes when the computer instructs it to. He states that there is nothing wrong and that this should be considered as normal.

QUESTION: Does anyone else with the 7-speed transmission coupled with the 5.6L gas engine experience this? Does the transmission never go above 4th gear until you reach 40 mph? Your response is appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a XD Pro4x Diesel with 6-speed transmission and it is horrible. It shifts hard and sometimes gets stuck into gear for too long before shifting to next gear. This causes the truck to jump.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The only issue I have seen so far in my 2017 XD PR is when going uphill, it takes a while to down shift so it is not so sluggish, but when it finally does, it shifts a little hard. When it goes for it's first service, I will ask about the transmission update and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Last week on my way home from work, I had an issue where the MIL light came on in the truck, it started to idle rough, wouldn't shift, no power, etc. etc. I called my service advisor and he advised me to contact Nissan Roadside Assistance to have it towed. Luckily I made it home, so waiting a short time for roadside assistance wasn't bad.

I got a call Tuesday morning that the problem was in the ECM harness. The service advisor said that it had come unplugged and the ground wire was broken off (don't ask how) and even when they plugged it back in and reconnected the ground, it was still throwing codes. Pursuant to a TSB, he said they were going to replace it with a new ECM. He had told me that Nissan was getting alot of complaints about this and completely re-engineered the ECM harness.

Fast forward to Wednesday. The service advisor called me late afternoon and said it was ready, but due to prior commitments, I couldn't pick it up until Thursday. When I went to pick it up, the service advisor told me that I am not going to believe the difference. He said that after the new ECM was installed, the TCM was flashed, the tech took it for a 10 mile test drive and when he came back, he said that thing is a beast...that's how it should run.

I've been driving it alot (keeping my '15 Murano Platinum at bay) to make sure everything is working well. The shifting is so much smoother, it shifts more especially on inclines which eliminates the power lag and it actually increased the gas mileage a bit. I was getting around 13.6 in town before the new ECM and I most recently checked on my way to work today and it was showing 16.4. Keep in mind when I first brought it home, I was averaging around 13.1 but only because I was having fun with all the added power. Now that I am 'slighlty' over that and driving normal, the mileage increased. Also, my ride to work is about 9 miles and rolling hills with a few red lights. I am going to run it now for the week and check my weekly gas mileage to get a better reading and will actually calculate it out with a new tank of gas.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the driveability of the truck. Maybe you can check with your service advisor to see if they will completely replace the ECM and reflash the TCM to match.

I hope this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts