Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found out the Air Force is sending me to Korea for a year this coming June :( . I plan on storing my truck but would like to find a high quality cover for it. If anyone knows of a particularly good brand, by all means please let me know. Also - does anyone have any tips for long term storage when it comes to the engine? I will be returning for a 30 day break about six months into my tour so I will at least be able to put some miles on it. The way I figure it, when I return from my tour, my truck will be almost two years old and will only have about 7000 miles on it which is nice. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I don't know of any brands made for trucks, but I know when researching a cover for my camper I was told to make sure not to get a poly non breathable type. I guess it is important to let the cover breath to prevent damage. You may want to put it up on blocks to prevent premature dry rot of tires. Change oil before parking it, check antifreeze protection level. I would also store it with a full tank of gas that has a STRONG solution of "Stabul" added to it. One last thought would be to seal up exhaust to prevent condensation from building up.

Please know that I am only offering my opinion as to what I would do. I am taking tips I have learned from winterizing my boats and campers and trying to apply them for you. It is entirly possible I am all wet with my suggestions, but this is what I would do using common sense.

Do a google search of Titan Covers and see what you come up with.

Good luck on your overseas tour, and thank you for your contribution to our country!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for you input! I would have never thought about covering the exhaust. As far as my contribution to the country, I like many others serve our country so we have the freedom to participate in things like driving our Titans whenever we want, doing burnouts, beating a Hemi, or just enjoying time with friends on sites such as this one.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
KYFHO,

Best of Luck!!! If there was any chance you could get someone responsible (family maybe) to start it/run it regularly. Then they could let you know how your steed was doing.

May be possible to replace regular insurance with storage/low mileage insurance?

What about regular storage facilities/marinas/camper dealership.

Get Back Safe!!!

Chief

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Some good pointers posted earlier. I'll add to give it a good wash and wax just before storing it, but you were probably already planning on that. Stay safe and thanks for serving.

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
Try www.calcarcover.com for a cover for your Titan. They have many different applications to choose from and also have a guide for choosing the right fabric. Hope this helps.
Be Safe

Deb

·
Registered
54 Posts
cover.............

not sure about the cover but agree with in needs to breathe. however I dont not agree with covering the exhaust for the same reason. It needs to breathe.
I bought our titen just for pulling out trailer ( see pic. ) being we live in Michigan and dont camp in the winter I'm storing my titen from Nov. of 2004 to May 2005.
The best thing you can do for storing any car or truck is to in your case have someone start it up once a month. make sure its run enough to heat up conpletely to burn off any condination in the exhaust.
Better yet would be for someone to drive it once a month.
Hope this helps and God bless
Greg from mi.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am in the Navy, and when we go on deployments, a lot of guys use the storage facility on base. They would also designate someone to be able to move it every month. Not sure if the Air Force offers this, but you may want to check it out on your base. Best of luck to you, I just came back from a deployment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
KYFHO - I just wanted to say thanx for the service to our country. I hope you enjoy the tour over there. I was in the Army a ways back and I got orders to go over there but there were cancelled when the Gulf War started. I wish I could have done that tour. One year is not that long especially for the experience. Good Luck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts