Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, how is everyone?

i recently started noticing when carrying heavy loads in my bed, 1000-1500lbs or so that the truck feelings like its hopping up and down in the back, this happens when i have my brakes applied almost to a complete stop, but still creeping very slowly

what could be causing this? is it something bad or a normal thing, ive never experianced this, thank you for any info

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
Haven't carried a load that big yet, so can't offer help. Sorry.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I felt something similar to what you are describing when I had about 2000 lbs of concrete in my bed. I had the brake tsb done and I haven't hauled anything that heavy yet, but I've had about 800 lbs in it and it didn't do it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
dilleyoshemp said:
Hi, how is everyone?

i recently started noticing when carrying heavy loads in my bed, 1000-1500lbs or so that the truck feelings like its hopping up and down in the back, this happens when i have my brakes applied almost to a complete stop, but still creeping very slowly

what could be causing this? is it something bad or a normal thing, ive never experianced this, thank you for any info
When you have the load in the bed is your rear axle sitting on the bump stops? If so, you may have blown the seals on your shocks. Did that to an old Chevy I used to own. How does it ride with nothing in the bed?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with nothing in the bed it seems to ride normally, although yesterday my rear end was stopped on a speed bump, im not sure if both rear wheels or one, but it also started doing this (empty bed), otherwise on a flat surface it does not :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
titanhauler, im not sure if my axel was sitting on the bump stops, but i dont think so, btw how would i know i have blown seals? is there a way to visually inspect it, without having to remove a wheel or anything else, are there other symptoms while driving that i should be aware of?, thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
dilleyoshemp said:
titanhauler, im not sure if my axel was sitting on the bump stops, but i dont think so, btw how would i know i have blown seals? is there a way to visually inspect it, without having to remove a wheel or anything else, are there other symptoms while driving that i should be aware of?, thanks
The shocks really have very little to do with how much weight you can load on the springs. All a shock really does is dampen the spring rate and control the oscillations of the springs. One quick and dirty way to check if your shocks are doing thier job is to jump up and down in the bed or on the bumper. When you stop jumping the vehicle should stop bouncing after 1-2 bounces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts