Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
There have been several threads here about this. Try a search.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
FWIW, I was replacing those Silverstar Ultras every 9mos or so, so the last time I had one blow, I forked $60 over to ArmaDen for a 4300k HID Kit and am very glad I did... These Crystal White HID are MUCH better and nothing has blown yet, where I would've already replaced at least one Silverstar by now. Alot safer while traveling too. :D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Check your local laws. Here in NY, it's illegal (stupid as hell if you ask me) to have the fogs on w/o the headlights. I still don't see the need for using them w/o the headlights anyhow but again, who the F am I?..lol. I'd use just the parking lights if it's an "I wanna be seen" issue.
Anyhow, search the forum...there is a way to do what you're asking.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That's a law here too Hudson... As a matter of fact, it's illegal to use them if visibility is greater than 200-yds or something like that... IMHO, they should come on with the Parking Lights. - lol :D

MassTitan, keep in mind that our Fog Housing Lenses are just plastic and the bulbs give off a bit of heat so quite a few of us have melt spots in the center of our Fog Lenses that would be worse if we used them more often. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That's a law here too Hudson... As a matter of fact, it's illegal to use them if visibility is greater than 200-yds or something like that... IMHO, they should come on with the Parking Lights. - lol :D

MassTitan, keep in mind that our Fog Housing Lenses are just plastic and the bulbs give off a bit of heat so quite a few of us have melt spots in the center of our Fog Lenses that would be worse if we used them more often. :rolleyes: :)
What I find funny is, let them try and give you a ticket for fogs only....I believe the Rams come on with the parking lights...lol.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What I find funny is, let them try and give you a ticket for fogs only....I believe the Rams come on with the parking lights...lol.
It's been a long time but I have gotten a ticket for running Fogs and the law hasn't changed since then.... Here, it's categorized under an "Excessive Lighting" law against "impairing oncoming traffic" and it does stick if they do write it up....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Originally, fog lights were intended not to be run with headlights as the headlights created glare in the fog, and the fog lights were to be mounted low so to cut under the fog and light the road surface only. My PT Cruiser can run with just fogs and parking lights. The truth is that most oem fog lights, including the ones on the Titan and my Cruiser don't work very well -- I prefer the old Cibies I had back in the seventies. I mounted them very low, under the bumper. They really lit up the road, had a very sharp cut-off and didn't blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's been a long time but I have gotten a ticket for running Fogs and the law hasn't changed since then.... Here, it's categorized under an "Excessive Lighting" law against "impairing oncoming traffic" and it does stick if they do write it up....
So what if you own one of these vehicles whos fogs do come on with the parking lights? They'll probably tell you "you should turn them off then"? Probably...lol.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So what if you own one of these vehicles whos fogs do come on with the parking lights? They'll probably tell you "you should turn them off then"? Probably...lol.
That's funny because it's actually correct... By law, Fog Lights and Driving Lights are required to have a switch on them to turn them off... DRL's are the only exception to it...

Oh, and check this out because I researched extensively and made several calls to ODOT for the answer before buying HID's... I was reading all kinds of comments on the WWW about OEM housing cut-off lines, etc, etc, and there is a USDOT law about it that is not only not enforced here, but it's not even acknowledged... However, they can ticket you for the COLOR because by law Headlights are required to be White... So, blue, red, purple, etc is susceptible to ticketing if they ever decide to crack down but they don't give a rat's pattootie about a "cutoff line" as long as the housing is aimed down enough to prevent blinding oncoming traffic... The part that really cracks me up about this is Halogen headlights are more Yellow than White... So, I replaced my 6000k bulbs with 4300k Bulbs and there cannot be any argument that they don't get whiter than that and my OEM aiming was well within the legal distance limits. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I keep my fogs on all the time and have never had a "MELT SPOT ON LENSE" this sounds like you have some other problem. My fogs have been on for over 5 years with the headlights and never a problem

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That's funny because it's actually correct... By law, Fog Lights and Driving Lights are required to have a switch on them to turn them off... DRL's are the only exception to it...

Oh, and check this out because I researched extensively and made several calls to ODOT for the answer before buying HID's... I was reading all kinds of comments on the WWW about OEM housing cut-off lines, etc, etc, and there is a USDOT law about it that is not only not enforced here, but it's not even acknowledged... However, they can ticket you for the COLOR because by law Headlights are required to be White... So, blue, red, purple, etc is susceptible to ticketing if they ever decide to crack down but they don't give a rat's pattootie about a "cutoff line" as long as the housing is aimed down enough to prevent blinding oncoming traffic... The part that really cracks me up about this is Halogen headlights are more Yellow than White... So, I replaced my 6000k bulbs with 4300k Bulbs and there cannot be any argument that they don't get whiter than that and my OEM aiming was well within the legal distance limits. :D
I knew there was some legal issues about installing HIDs in housings designed for Halogens but right...they don't enforce it. As for HID color, that has to be a hard thing to enforce as well, except for those teenie boppers who think deep purple is a color to see by at night, since BMWs seem to use a more purple-ish color. I believe Nissans factory HID units are closest to the 4300K color. I use 5k in my vehicles, although I did use 6k in the wifes Quest with no problems. We also have window tint laws around here and it's interesting to see that some can get away with dark tint and some cannot. They see a young kid and/or a kid type car and they're all over it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I keep my fogs on all the time and have never had a "MELT SPOT ON LENSE" this sounds like you have some other problem. My fogs have been on for over 5 years with the headlights and never a problem
I've seen 3 Titans with the exact same melt spots including Scottsbro23's and all (ncluding myself)still have the original factory installed bulbs in them... ;)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I knew there was some legal issues about installing HIDs in housings designed for Halogens but right...they don't enforce it. As for HID color, that has to be a hard thing to enforce as well, except for those teenie boppers who think deep purple is a color to see by at night, since BMWs seem to use a more purple-ish color. I believe Nissans factory HID units are closest to the 4300K color. I use 5k in my vehicles, although I did use 6k in the wifes Quest with no problems. We also have window tint laws around here and it's interesting to see that some can get away with dark tint and some cannot. They see a young kid and/or a kid type car and they're all over it.
Exactly... And although there haven't been any known citations for color, I didn't want to be the first, especially when traveling out of state...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I understand perfectly..lol. As for the fogs, I remember once I had Nissan replace the drivers side because of a melted lense on my 2004 but my 2008 hasn't had that problem...and I always just leave the fogs on when the low beams are on. I can't see the difference but maybe the the new lenses differ somehow? I certainly would not switch to a higher wattage bulb or one of those tinted ones that tend to run a little hotter by design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.