Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a little trip to the trash ditch on the farm today and it was a little muddy. Trying hard not to get truck dirty, so no messing around was involved. Parked the truck in an area that was a little muddy to unload my trash and when I went to take off I just spun and spun. Tried reverse... nothing. Got out and looked around the truck, rear wheels definetly in the goo, front not so bad, why no go? :x

Tried again and again and again. After the 3rd or 4th trip around the truck scratching my head I found that the mud on both front wheels was drying = they weren't turning. Hmmm, tried 4 hi, 4 lo... ended up getting pulled out by a tractor. :(

On way home I noticed that the 4WD light in the dash was on, and stayed on, even when switch in 2WD. Turned truck off while at car wash and when I got back in and fired it up the 4WD light was off. 4WD also seemed to be working just fine. :?

OK so after all that explaination what I am looking for is if anyone has advice from similar situation. Did I hurt my precious one? Should I get it immediatly to a dealer for inspection like the owner's manual said? Any thoughts on what may have happened? Any help or even just theories would be entertained at this point. I've been catching a lot of ribbing for buying a Nissan as it is and this situation will take me some time to live down.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
yuor tires werent turning at all? in 4lo my truck will dig 4 holes cause the ABLS applys the brake to the spinning wheel untill all of them start to spin.
now getttin it back into 2 wheel is a trick for me when i first got it. you have to be coasting when you switch it back to 2 wheel and just barely feather the gas adn it will switch right back, i can do it right away every time now

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
If you're looking for a theory I may have one. I'm assuming you tried to get moving in 2wd first, when that didn't work you tried going into 4hi, and then 4lo. Does that sound correct? If so my theory is that 4hi never engaged because you should have just been spinning one rear wheel at the time when you got stuck. These trucks like to see a little movement when selecting 4hi, at least mine does during engagement and disengagement. I would say the clutch in your transfer case wouldn't align correctly for 4wd engagement. Does it all work fine now, at least your indication?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I really hate to hear about you getting stuck so easily. One reason I wanted to offroad, only a week after getting the truck, was to learn how this electronic 4wd system works. The above mentioned problem was one of the lessons I learned, shift before you get stopped (stuck). I didn't get stuck, but the very first time I engaged 4wd, I was stopped in gravel. It didn't actually engage until I started moving, indicated by a brief rear wheel spin before engagement, as I gunned it up the small hill. 4wd low is just the opposite...you can feel it engage when stopped.

I also had some difficulty dis-engaging the diff-lock. I haven't quite figured out what makes that light go off. Sometimes, it would go out instantly, other times it stayed on for a few minutes. I'll read the manual again later this week.

Outside of operator error, my T was flawless...never spun a tire in 4 Low. It seems this electronic shift is a different beast...will take some getting used to.

Now, go out and get that thing dirty..... :evil: :evil: I think it'll make a believer out of you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was in 4wd when I parked, tried shifted to 4lo when didn't move. Didn't appear that front wheels spun at all, did they disengage when parked.. when shifting to 4lo and just never get any movement to re-engage?

Does seem to work fine now, just a little concerned that the 4WD light in lower corner of dash was on. Owner's manual says that indicates some kind of malfunction and to get it inspected ASAP. Not sure if that is just an excuse to get dealer a few bucks or if there could really be something wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
ismoky said:
Well, I was in 4wd when I parked, tried shifted to 4lo when didn't move. Didn't appear that front wheels spun at all, did they disengage when parked.. when shifting to 4lo and just never get any movement to re-engage?

Does seem to work fine now, just a little concerned that the 4WD light in lower corner of dash was on. Owner's manual says that indicates some kind of malfunction and to get it inspected ASAP. Not sure if that is just an excuse to get dealer a few bucks or if there could really be something wrong.
You certainly could have a problem, I wouldn't rule that out at all. If you get a chance try it out in 4wd mode again and see what happens. If you get the same results with your light staying on then I would either crawl under the truck and check the transfer case plug for corrosion or call the dealer and make an appt. to have it looked at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably will get it checked even though after shutting truck off for a while, it seemed to work fine. Haven't broke 1200 miles yet and don't want continuing problems from something I didn't get checked out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
ismoky,
Did you ever get this checked out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I forgot to post but I did take it to the dealership for a couple other minor cosmetic things and asked about it. I was told that since it was an isolated incident not to worry too much about it. I was told that unless they could repeat the error it would be very difficult to diagnose and if it happened again then they'd start taking stuff apart to see if they can find anything wrong. So far no more problems but don't get off road that much.

Hoping not to have to deal with it again!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts