Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered something today about the fog light mod in which you jump the fuses # 56 to #37 (shown below) in order to get the fog lights on automatically with the parking lights. Do not do this mod if you tow anything!! Your running lights on your trailer will not work! Everything else works (turn signals, brakes, etc), but your runnings lights will not work!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Good info to know.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
yep nice find AgT

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm about 95% sure my tail lights work. I have had the fog light mod done for a while now and I had to rewire a trailer I have and they were working when i was checking the lights out.

I just checked my boat trailer. My tail lights work with the fog light mod.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Thanks for the info Erik, I was going to do this and I would have been pissed if I lost the marker (running) lights on the trailer.

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
This may not apply to every truck. I have the mod done and have no issues with towing trailers. All lights work.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FLtitanmike said:
I'm about 95% sure my tail lights work. I have had the fog light mod done for a while now and I had to rewire a trailer I have and they were working when i was checking the lights out.

I just checked my boat trailer. My tail lights work with the fog light mod.
Hmmm.............

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
May be a Big Tow, Non-Big Tow or before/after 0X thing. Erik is your truck BT or did you swap mirrors?

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
AgTitan06 said:
Hmmm.............
Back to the drawing board then.

If you remove the jumper wire do the trailer marker lights come on?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
This is the problem with the fog light mod:
1. This mod feeds the fog lights from the trailer tail (running) light circuit.
2. The added load of the fog lights are now going through the trailer light fuse.
3. The original fog light fuse was 20 amps; the trailer light fuse is 10 amps.
4. The original fog lights are 37.5 watts each, or 75 watts total.
5. The 10 amp fuse can handle 120 watts, so if the fogs are on there are only 45 watts for the trailer lights.
6. The combined load of the fogs and trailer lights is probably exceeding the 10 amp capacity of the fuse and it blows. This problem is worse if higher wattage fogs are used.

You could install a higher capacity fuse for the trailer/fog lights, but that may not be a good idea since the fuses are sized to protect the wiring. If the was a short problem the wiring could be damaged before the larger fuse blew.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Great information and excellent detail, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a new to me 2005 Titan and I want to enable the fog lights and I like simple, I am fine with them coming on with the parking lights. I understand the concern of having the added load of the fogs on the fuse for the parking lights when done the way shown.

But what about using a piggy back fuse adapter so parking lights keep their same fuse and from the buss power feed side the piggy back fuse adapter gets power before this fuse and then it can be fused with a 20 amp and plugged into the fuse output slot for the fog lights load side??

Thanks

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts