Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's my tip of the day. Use the sealing tape after you have applied sound deadening sheets to the inside of the door. I didn't the first time and I paid for it. Apparently I didn't get the top of one of the sheets (at the top of the door on the inside) pressed to the door as well as I thought. It peeled off and everytime I rolled down my window the sound deadening sheet would get gummy crud on the window. At first I thought someone had nailed my Titan with something. After I cleaned it off twice with Goof-Off I realized what was happening and I only had myself to blame.

So I took the door apart today and used about 20 feet of sealing tape (not cheap duct tape) to seal the seams between sheets and also to ensure the tops of the sheets were well secured.

·
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I used. Very sticky stuff and pretty malleable to the surface. I thought the tape was an upsell gimmick and didn't serve much purpose. Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
HRTKD said:
That's my tip of the day. Use the sealing tape after you have applied sound deadening sheets to the inside of the door. I didn't the first time and I paid for it. Apparently I didn't get the top of one of the sheets (at the top of the door on the inside) pressed to the door as well as I thought. It peeled off and everytime I rolled down my window the sound deadening sheet would get gummy crud on the window. At first I thought someone had nailed my Titan with something. After I cleaned it off twice with Goof-Off I realized what was happening and I only had myself to blame.

So I took the door apart today and used about 20 feet of sealing tape (not cheap duct tape) to seal the seams between sheets and also to ensure the tops of the sheets were well secured.
If the metal is cleaned correctly and the the deadener is properly rolled it should never come off.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P-Dizzle said:
If the metal is cleaned correctly and the the deadener is properly rolled it should never come off.
Define "cleaned correctly" please. What do you use? I had some interior cleaner (not a finish) that I sprayed on the metal and then wiped off and let dry. I didn't have a roller but I can't remember right off what tool I used to press the deadener to the metal. I'm guessing I just didn't get the top pressed on well enough.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What cleaner did you used and how can you install deadener without rolling it?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did use a tool to "roll" it on, just not a roller. I think I might have used something like a narrow plastic putty knife. It was flexible enough to follow curves.

What size roller do you use?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
1" wood roller and a lot of pressure in every direction.

·
Registered
396 Posts
HRTKD said:
I did use a tool to "roll" it on, just not a roller. I think I might have used something like a narrow plastic putty knife. It was flexible enough to follow curves.

What size roller do you use?
what kind of deadener did you use?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
P-Dizzle said:
1" wood roller and a lot of pressure in every direction.
I gotta get me one of those. The wife won't let me use her pizza roller. LOL!

crod504 said:
what kind of deadener did you use?
I used Stinger Roadkill. It seems like pretty good stuff to me but I generally don't know jack about car audio stuff so you could tell me AM radio is better than XM and I might believe you. I got it from Tech12Volts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
HRTKD said:
Define "cleaned correctly" please. What do you use? I had some interior cleaner (not a finish) that I sprayed on the metal and then wiped off and let dry. I didn't have a roller but I can't remember right off what tool I used to press the deadener to the metal. I'm guessing I just didn't get the top pressed on well enough.
When I did mine I used some wax and grease remover by Eastwood called, "Pre". It was available in aerosal form and world really well. I've also used "Prep All" by Klean-Strip. It's available at Wally World or any Auto Parts store in the paint section. The wood or rubber roller is a must!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Possibly it was the brand of deadner compounded with the fact it was not rolled. I dynamatted the entire inside of my last truck, stripped the entire interior and did every inch. I get the dynamat at wholesale because I'm an audio dealer, but I still bet the material was almost $300. Dynamat is very expensive but I can't imagine a surface too dirty to keep that stuff from sticking, I didn't even wipe my truck down, though it was a pretty new truck. I'll bet the weight of all that dynamat was like 40 lbs, or something.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
titan4x said:
Possibly it was the brand of deadner compounded with the fact it was not rolled. I dynamatted the entire inside of my last truck, stripped the entire interior and did every inch. I get the dynamat at wholesale because I'm an audio dealer, but I still bet the material was almost $300. Dynamat is very expensive but I can't imagine a surface too dirty to keep that stuff from sticking, I didn't even wipe my truck down, though it was a pretty new truck. I'll bet the weight of all that dynamat was like 40 lbs, or something.
Do you happen to know David Negron?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why does that name sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think he is from Marietta. He lived hear in the Phoenix area for a while and now lives back that way. He plays basketball and is about 29 if that helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't guess so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts