Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I have a 2004 XE CC 4x4. I had bought a set of 18x8 centerline wheels for my Titan last summer. I put Kumho 285/60/18 tires on the wheels the first time. I had a vibration at 45mph and 70 mph. So the tire shop rebalanced them and the problem did not go away. So I ordered new tires, thinking this would solve the problem. They were the factory goodyear gsa 265/70/18. But this time I had the wheels and tires road forced on a Hunter machine, and everything came out good. So I knew that the wheels and tires were tru. But I still had a vibration at 70 mph. I called Centerline and told them what was going on, and they finally said that the wheels I bought were a two piece wheel, and that the tolerance in the foriegn trucks were tighter than domestic trucks. This was supposedly the cause. So Centerline agreed to buy the wheels back. So I bought a set of six spoke Le wheels from a TT member and guess what? The same vibration at 70mph. The truck rode great on the factory xe wheels and tires. Does anyone have any ideas or clues as to what may be causing this vibration?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just One of many possible guesses, driveshaft or axle not balanced?

If it were me and I had OEM wheels on it, I'd go to the dealer and let them take care of it unless someone here gives you some better ideas.

GoodLuck XETitan,

Chief

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
I'm with Chief. If it's happening with different types of wheels and tires, take a look at the drive train.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this same issue on my Armada, and the dealer finally fixed it. I would take it in, explain you've done everything to make sure it's not the tires, and have them adjust/do whatever.

My shimmy is now gone, and I haven't changed tires. For a while I suspected it was my Goodyears, but apparently not.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
adjmcloon said:
I had this same issue on my Armada, and the dealer finally fixed it. I would take it in, explain you've done everything to make sure it's not the tires, and have them adjust/do whatever.

My shimmy is now gone, and I haven't changed tires. For a while I suspected it was my Goodyears, but apparently not.
So what did they do to it to fix it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lug torque

Well I retorqued my lugs for the third time in three weeks. This seems to help the vibration at the 45 mph mark, but it still occurs at 70mph. I havent had a chance to rebalance yet. But the torque was not off that much, the manual says 98ft lbs. And that is what I have been putting on them. The vibration seems to worsen over time, and also seems to act up more in a turn at higher speeds.?. What the heck. This is really driving me crazy. Is it something Im doing wrong, or is the truck screwed up. I did not have any problems with the stock wheels and tires. Please help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again I had my wheels and tires balanced, and still a vibration. They told me there that 35 psi was not enough for the tires, and to try swopping the front with the rear. Im starting to think there is something wrong with my steering column. In my 2003 Chevy, I had to take it back twice to have the steering column regreased. Maybe this is what has happened to my Titan. Ive noticed while cruising around 40mph, if I work the wheel back and forth a little, I can feel a catch of some sort. The best way I can describe it is like its moving in between the teeth of a gear. Thats really not a good explanation, but its the best that I can do.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Take it to the dealer about the "catch" in the steering. There have been a couple of posts about bad steering racks. That sounds a lot like your problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well had my truck in the shop Monday morning. We took a test drive and it did do what I explained to the service tech. He said, what you all said about the tires. He also thought that maybe it was the drive train. So first he swopped 18" wheels and tires with a brand new Titan. And sure enough that took care of it. He told me that my tires looked cupped. I bought my LE wheels and tires off another member of another well known forum. The tech said that the tires are too soft. So basically my tires are junk, and I have another set sitting in my garage with less than 3000 miles on them that I cant use either. So Im going to buy another set of aftermarket 17" to put back on my truck. I will probably go with the bfgs or the terra grapplers for tires. I think they are a little harder rubber, and it seems like Titan owners like them. Thanks for your help, and wish me luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts