Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in process of a crazy swap, mating a VK56 with a GM automatic transmission. The adapter plate is already designed, and now it's time to build a flex plate. It's going to require some custom tooling be made first.

My questions are these:
-Has anyone else done this yet? I'm 99% sure not, but I thought if anyone has, someone here would know. If so, who???
-When I make this come to fruition, would anyone else be interested in purchasing an adapter kit to bolt a VK56 to a GM transmission?

I am a race shop, and I am very serious, my intention is to have the fastest VK56 powered vehicle in the US, if not the world. It's been in R&D for some time now, and is expected to come to life this season. Nothing will be for sale until my set up is driven and proven successful, but I'm curious if there are any others out there who may consider such a set up. Fortunately, by using a GM bolt pattern, multiple automatic AND MANUAL transmissions would be possible. It's not likely anyone would want such a set up in their daily driver, but guys who want to build crazy fast street cars, have a Titan with a manual transmission, or a super strong automatic for a drag truck, may find such a set up very useful. I'm not a vendor here, so I'm not going to mention names, pricing, or any of that now, I am just curious if anyone else would be interested in such a project, or if it is just me? If this does take off, I will almost certainly become a vendor very soon. Regardless of how all this ends up, I plan to start a project log thread here once the powertrain is assembled, and installed into it's chassis.
Thank you for reading,
Ryan

·
Registered
494 Posts
The is an adapter kit for the VQ35 to a GM trans but nothing to my knowledge for a VK56 to a GM trans. If you are able to make it happen, it will probably sell well to all the guys doing VK swaps in their Frontier/Xterras and then the guys doing custom builds on their 240sx, 350z and g35s.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
That won't be the only problem. The ECU is expecting to communicate with the TCM. With the GM transmission installed that can't happen. If you are building a racing vehicle with a stand alone ECU you can probably make this work, but if you want to install a GM transmission on a street machine with the standard ECU you will have problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That won't be the only problem. The ECU is expecting to communicate with the TCM. With the GM transmission installed that can't happen. If you are building a racing vehicle with a stand alone ECU you can probably make this work, but if you want to install a GM transmission on a street machine with the standard ECU you will have problems.
It's posts like this that keep me from larger forums on the internet. I'm biting my tounge to keep myself from saying things I will later regret or that will bring me down along with those who spread negativity and un-requested information in un-solicited responces.

Let me clairify for those who didn't understand my first post:
I am not looking for advise on how to make a VK56, or any motor for that matter run. I would just like to know how many others would be interested in such an adapter system. As a further reminder, as mentioned above, I don't expect anyone to just "take my word for it" or buy into anything. Nothing will be for sale until tested and proven. I am also going into this with the expectation that I will be the only one, because it will NOT be an easy swap, and is certainly not for everyone. For whatever it's worth to those doubting, this won't be the first "hybrid" vehicle of it's type I've built.
Thank you again for reading,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I just posted the facts. I wouldn't want members of CT to think that the mechanical problems of adapting a different transmission will be the only problems. That's part of my job here. If you took that as being negative to your efforts that is your opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
You also need to understand that we have had other products like under-drive pulleys that were brought here saying they have been balanced, tested, and reeled members in like fish. Then later these members ended up with cracked flex plates and tranny problems from it being an untested, low quality product.

Please understand we are not here to put you down or discourage your efforts, I am actually in awe of someone willing to take on such a task. You need to realize that on a forum like this your gonna have people that will think its a bolt on and go type thing, I am sure that is all that SCR38 was trying to bring out.

SCR38 above all others is not a negative poster, he does do all he can to protect the membership though.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
If it will allow me to use a 6 spd manual with my supercharged Titan AND work in harmony with the Nissan ecu, then I'm all in...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, now that I've settled down a bit, I do understand some of your points. However, if the concerns are product related, as stated in the above post, this WILL be tested, AND a build thread will be here soon. Feel free to make comments and ask questions when I actually have something substantial to show. I'm just hesitant to make it highly public until I have some real visible progress to display.
I also encourage you all to consider my side, because I see it on forums everywhere, and it keeps a lot of people from sharing in these communities. Often when people ask LEGITIMATE questions they get bombarded with commentary that goes on telling them why what they are doing is wrong, and never even address the original question. I think the above post is a good example. I didn't ask anything about the complexity of my project, as I'm well aware. Nor does the reply even begin to address my two questions. IF the concern was simply to make other users "aware", it could be done in a much less condescending manor that won't turn people off at the same time.
All of this said, now that the whole point of my thread has gone completely off track, I will leave this sub conversation alone, I hope others do as well.
Lastly, as for myself, and my work: I'm sure you'll find that what I do is legitimate, and done at the highest level. I will be glad to address everyone's questions and concerns once a build thread is made that allows everyone to see and judge by the work itself, and not assumptions. I'm sure you'll also find me to normally be a pretty easy going, and I hope you don't judge me by this one thread. My apology to scr38, and all the users here, I think that post was just the straw that broke the camels back for me, and I let go a little to much.
Ryan

·
Registered
266 Posts
the vk56 and chevy trans has been done already.. thats what they use in the nissan titan corr racing truck...i dont have details on how they did it...i just know thats what they use

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
They are using a stand alone ECM, so there is no problem with communications between the ECM and TCM like there would be with the stock ECM.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
They are using a stand alone ECM, so there is no problem with communications between the ECM and TCM like there would be with the stock ECM.
If he's trying to build the worlds fastest titan than the stock ECU/TCU issue isnt an issue. He's going to be going stand alone anyways. From what it sounds like he wants to make some sort of bellhousing conversion to adapt. But the only reason to adapt to a GM would be to use a fully built and known reliable turbo 400 style trans im guessing. Might be good for drag racing but everyday driving would be horrible. Im not too familiar with what their doing with the new 6 speed gm trans and if their building them to any success, so im assuming its the old proven 4 speed

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
A Member here was rumored to be considering such a setup, for his turbo'd truck. He was working with UpRev for all his tuning needs. I do not believe it went anywhere, did not get off the drawing board. But, it may be useful to contact UpRev since they are the premier VK56 tuners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please let me clarify a few things. Leadsled, you're pretty much right on. Fundamentally speaking anyhow. It is not likely that a stock ECU will be used, at least not at first. It has been considered, and I have contacted UPREV, but I wasn't excited by their response. It didn't seem impossible, just not preferable to me. I may well even be "that person" who uprev spoke to, I'm not sure, but I certainly did have some conversations with them.
As for the actual transmission used, that's the very best thing about using a GM platform. They are/were VERY universal, for 40+ years GM used the same bellhousing patterns, so there are MANY transmissions that could be selected once the adapter is created. Both manual and automatic. They would obviously require custom flex plates, or flywheels, but that's certainly not anything that hasn't been done before.
Indeed, street drivability would be compromised, in turn for increased driveline strength. To what extent would depend on actual transmission selection. My expectation is the only people who would be interested in such a product would be those at the highest level of performance, currently restricted by the stock Nissan transmission. I have a hard time believing I am the only person out there who wants to see the full potential of what a VK56 can do. There's just no way we're ever going to see that with stock box behind it. Not to mention, there may be others who would like to see a VK56 is something other than a truck, this set up would allow such a vehicle be made, with considerably less complication. For whatever it's worth, I'm not putting it in a Titan, you'll have to wait to see what it is.
Lastly, to update the project. It is moving forward, I have a machine shop working with me to design and produce a die set for forming flex plates, and the material is purchased. Hopefully soon we will have the first prototype in hand. I'm still on track to reach my goal of having this monster breathing life in 2011. No reason yet why it won't happen.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Please keep us posted Ryan.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Well sounds cool. Ive parted with my titan but would love to see this take the next step. The Titan community gets hosed on aftermarket support on what is a great platform to start with.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
If he's trying to build the worlds fastest titan than the stock ECU/TCU issue isnt an issue. He's going to be going stand alone anyways. From what it sounds like he wants to make some sort of bellhousing conversion to adapt. But the only reason to adapt to a GM would be to use a fully built and known reliable turbo 400 style trans im guessing. Might be good for drag racing but everyday driving would be horrible. Im not too familiar with what their doing with the new 6 speed gm trans and if their building them to any success, so im assuming its the old proven 4 speed
TCI already has modded 6L80E's that can handle 850hp, but the older 700R4, 4l60E, 4l80E and 2004R can be built to handle upward of 1000hp.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
TCI already has modded 6L80E's that can handle 850hp, but the older 700R4, 4l60E, 4l80E and 2004R can be built to handle upward of 1000hp.
The 4l60e is a pos though. Its a 350 with an overdrive superglued on. I had it in my old 5.3 and hated it. Always searching for gears. If ur gunna go to the trouble you just use an older style.
Although if my memory is correct Perrish with the famous blue turbo sc silverado was running around 1000hp with a fully built 4l60e

1 - 20 of 35 Posts