Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some input from the guys that have painted there rims black and how you did it. What do I need to buy and do I have to take the tire off the rim in order to do it. Can everyone that has done this post some pics and comments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry no pics. used rustoleum bedliner. clean. sand. re-clean. 3 coats bedliner. 3 coats semi-gloss black enamel. looks awesome. did them with tires on- off of truck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
sorry no pics. used rustoleum bedliner. clean. sand. re-clean. 3 coats bedliner. 3 coats semi-gloss black enamel. looks awesome. did them with tires on- off of truck.
I did the same thing but used a few spray paint cans of Rustoleum Wheel Paint. The key is really just that you clean the wheels as much as possible before hand. I took a high pressure washer to each wheel, then a degreasing compound, handwashed em, then hit em again with the pressure washer. I did it a year ago and they still look great.

wheels 2.jpg

wheels 3.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Was looking at using the Duplicolor wheel paint. Flat black and then the clear coat on top of it. Just had mixed reviews on how long they hold up. Dont want to screw them up either. Also want to take the mini nissan burger off the center cap. I dont want to paint those black.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bedliner be your best bet. No wrong way to apply it like regular spay paint.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to paint them while I still have my old tires on before I get new tires. Do you think they will chip when they go and put the new tires on? Dont think I want to go with bedliner.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I want to paint them while I still have my old tires on before I get new tires. Do you think they will chip when they go and put the new tires on? Dont think I want to go with bedliner.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

You can powder coat them. If your wheels fit in your oven there you go.

Paint I would stay away from. Much more prep and you need to be a painter. Personally I can't paint worth a damn so that's why I opted for bed liner. All up to you though!

·
Registered
153 Posts
if you don't have a lot of paint experience you're very likely to not be happy with the outcome. it's all in the prep work though really. clean, sand, clean, clean, clean, clean... if there is any dust or debris or grease from your fingers or anything it'll show through the paint, and it's much harder to cover up runs and what not with paint where as with the bed liner it'll fill itself in as you go.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any close up pics of a wheel that has had the bedliner sprayed on?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Search the web, I'm sure you'll find lots of threads/pics. This is a very popular way esp. with the SE five spoke wheels as they look like rockstars from afar

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here are my chrome rims that I painted with bedliner.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts