Nissan Titan Forum banner

what are my tonneau cover otions?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  travism 
#1 ·
i'm supposed to meet the guy tomorrow to sell my current truck so i'll be titan shopping later this week or this weekend. i'm going to get an '05 titan CC 4x4 LE with off-road, big tow, and navigation packages. trying to decide between white and silver...leaning towards silver.

anyway, i've got a little one on the way (our first) and i'm hoping this will be our family vehicle. at least until we have 2 children we can put luggage in the back with the child. when we have 2 children back there we'll need put suitcases and cargo in the back of the truck. what tonneau cover options do i have?

do those soft cover tonneau covers actually keep everything dry? dry enough for luggage? how about that $900 hard top option from nissan? does it hook simply into utili-track? is it pretty much air-tight? how heavy is that and is it easily removed?

i don't like the looks of a tonneau cover for day-to-day commuting to work. i need something that will keep luggage dry but is easily removed. what are my options?

#2 ·
soft tonneau covers

There are many choices out there.
However some won't work with the utility tracks in place. I'm going to order mine soon and am leaning towards the Tek Style Profile cover. Other brands are Access Cover, Sport Master, Extang, Torza Top,K Cover etc.
I've owned Tek Style and Sport Master in the past. The bed was ALWAYS dry. Water was never an issue. I use the truck to keep work items in there and after 5 trucks with these covers spanning the last 10 years there has never been a problem or had anyone ever damage a cover.
One other choice there is, do you want snaps or velcro holding the top in place?
One thing to look for is some covers sit between the rails, reducing the opening. The style I prefer sits on top of the bed rails
so the water falls over the edges, not drippping onto the seam directly.
Any more questions you have. Come on back.

Clint

#3 ·
Nissan makes a cover??? I'd like to look into that one. There are lots of members who have various styles of covers. You should gets lots of opinions. I think, in the end, it will boil down to your specific needs. Have fun shopping. I'm currently topless, but would like to see pics of how the ARE and other hard tops coexist with the utilitrack.

#4 ·
I have a Truxedo Lo-Profile Soft cover that works well. I have three kids and it is our family vehicle so everything goes back there, luggage, groceries, whatever. I have not had a problem with anything getting wet yet. The raised features in the bed help in keeping things dry too. It will roll up in no time so I can haul tall things. It clamps in the utilitrak so if I want to take it all the way out all I have to do is loosen 8 bolts. The best thing is that they cost around $350. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
If you are looking for a hard cover I just installed an advanced folding cover like it so far. It uses the utili-trac system to install. Check out this thread I have pics.

http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1641.html

edited. O ya and welcome to the family in advanced.

#6 ·
I installed a Roll n Lock cover. it's really functional and easy to use as well as being, I think, the best looking one out there. Check out the pictures. The checker-plate looks real slick on the silver truck!

http://clubtitan.org/postp7699.html&highlight=#7699

#8 ·
If you are not going to keep it on the truck all the time, I would definately get a soft cover. A hard cover is harder to take on and off and will take up room in the garage when it's not on the truck. Almost all soft covers will keep the bed dry except maybe allow some dribbles at the corners, but even there it won't be enough to worry about. Almost all soft covers clamp onto the bed, so they are easy to put on and take off (no drilling, but maybe some complications if you have utilitrak).

I like the Truxedo I have, but it's a little more expensive than I would spend if I only had it on the truck occasionally. If I were you, expecting a child and planning more ($$$), I'd go with a more inexpensive one, maybe one with snaps and removable support bars going across the bed. They aren't as nice for day to day use, especially in different weather conditions, but they will serve the purpose that you need it for. Some might disagree with me on that, but most people on forums have no problem spending other people's money either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.