Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new set of shoes this afternoon and they only put 35 psi in the tires. They guy at Discount Tire recommended that's what I should run in them unless I am towing. I am just curious as to what everyone else is running. The tire calls for 65 psi so I just want to make sure that there are going to wear ok with only 35 psi in them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is really just up to how your truck drives with them at 35 psi, when I got my 295/70-17 Nitto Terragrapplers at Discount Tire they only put 35 psi in them as well when the tire says 60 psi max, I drove the truck for a few weeks and noticed it felt like the truck was wandering all over the road like I had flat tires so I aired them up to 55 psi and it made a huge difference in the handling and also increased my MPG quite a bit. Discount Tire will put more air in them you just have to tell them how much psi you want when you go in and they will mark in on your ticket.

·
Registered
451 Posts
315/70R17... offroad shop put in 45psi when they put them on. So I've maintained 45 over the past few years.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Mine are rated for 65 and I have run 60 in them since new. They are wearing like iron. Under inflated tires cause excessive heat which can lead to abnormal wear and possible failure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've run mine at 45, unless i'm towing, for the last 40,000 miles. Very even wear and still lots of life left in them. Good choice in tires!! They are the only tire I will run.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
So, if since i don't do any crazy off roading stuff, i should keep the psi up there close to the max? i'm getting my Terra grapplers put on mid week, and this is helpful insite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, if since i don't do any crazy off roading stuff, i should keep the psi up there close to the max? i'm getting my Terra grapplers put on mid week, and this is helpful insite.
NO! The only time you would run close to max is when you're towing. The lower the tire pressure the better your truck will ride both on and off road. You just need to find a pressure point where it doesn't negatively effect the wear pattern but is still comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
cool thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If the tires are P tires, then run the recommended pressure on the door sticker. (I always run 2 psi more for quicker steering response.) However, if your tires are LT tires, then you need to run much higher air pressure. Nissan doesn't have a recommendation for LT tires because the truck only comes with P tires. On LT tires, you need to run higher pressures, otherwise heat builds up on the sidewalls and you can have a blowout like the Ford Explorers that were running 24 psi. You may try the maximum on the sidewall, then start backing off in 5 psi increments.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
. On LT tires, you need to run higher pressures, otherwise heat builds up on the sidewalls and you can have a blowout like the Ford Explorers that were running 24 psi. You may try the maximum on the sidewall, then start backing off in 5 psi increments.
Thats what I tried telling him, but I got blowed off!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
glad i asked. i'm not sure what my terra grapplers are, but i'll look today before they are mounted. I know nothing about P size tires and LT size tires. BIXLL, next time, just spit it out! lol. no really, this is some good info guys. thnx.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts