Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new set of kuhmo tires. 37/14/20... was wondering what a good psi to run in them for my truck. thank's brad

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
What's the manufacturers recommendation? I usually run whatever that is and make sure to check it weekly so I know i'm gonna get proper wear......

Now when I offroad I do let some air out!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i never run what the tire says to run. cuz thats the max psi.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
When I worked at a tire place all truck tires were set at 35 psi. Thats what I have my tires set at, and Im getting pretty good wear. 33 psi is normally when the TPMS kicks on for me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont think i have heard of the chalk test? ill double check, but i think there at 40 right now. i just dont want to spend that much money on them and they wear fast and funny and not get full potential out of them.

chalk test- make a line on road and drive acrossed or something and see if it picks up the chalk or what. thats just my guess for that. ha. i might be far off. or put chalk on tire and see if it imprints on road?

·
Registered
894 Posts
TPMS is set @ 28psi on Nissan Titan.

35psi for all trucks? That's the most ignorant thing I've heard... My tires are rated at 90psi max.. the discount tire guy looked at my door jam, saw it said 35psi, so instead of correcting him, I let him do his thing. He let the air out on each tire down to 35psi. After the last tire, I asked "do these look right? They look kinda flat..." So he stands back, looks and said "I dunno". I told him to fill them to 65psi. 35 is way too low for my new set.

Now on the stock tires, yes 35 is recomended. But not all tires are the same. Mine came off an 08 F250 and one size larger than nissans stock.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i dont think i have heard of the chalk test? ill double check, but i think there at 40 right now. i just dont want to spend that much money on them and they wear fast and funny and not get full potential out of them.

chalk test- make a line on road and drive acrossed or something and see if it picks up the chalk or what. thats just my guess for that. ha. i might be far off. or put chalk on tire and see if it imprints on road?
sugar works well too I've found.

Thing to remember is what works best for you. Your front tires will require more PSI than rear due to extra weight/braking on the front end. Not much though..I usually find roughly 10psi difference works for me.

Plus each tire set is different.. mine are 90psi max. I had them once at 90psi and I felt every single crack in the road. The discount tire guy set them at 35psi and they looked like I had a nail in each one.

I found for the best ride mine are between 60-70psi. After 10k miles I have even ware on all four tires.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The "Chalk Line Test": Draw a heavy chalk line across all the tread faces. drive slowly forward in a straight line for a few revolutions of the tire. Get out and observe the wear pattern of the chalk. If it has worn away evenly, then the inflation is correct. If either the edge or center of the line is worn first, then the tire is under or over inflated, respectively.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i at least a good guess of what the "chalk line test" was. thank's. now ill have to go see if i can take a piece of chalk from a neighbor kid lol :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
My TPMS register a little low. At 35psi my sensors read 34.6 -34.8 so I run 36~37 psi as the first cold day will set it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.