Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone's titan with a high flow intake system make a whistling sound under light throttle? Mine kinda sounds like a turbo spooling up. I'm assuming it's the throttle body plate making the sound.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I haven't noticed that on mine, it could be that something isn't sealed tight, and there is air getting in. Or it could just be the intake filter itself. I had a K&N on my other truck and it did the same thing at times.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drmstlr66 said:
I haven't noticed that on mine, it could be that something isn't sealed tight, and there is air getting in. Or it could just be the intake filter itself. I had a K&N on my other truck and it did the same thing at times.
I think it's the open element design then because the Volant is open only to the fenderwell.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do you have the TB spacer? If you do, it is supposed to whistle according to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HavockWK said:
Do you have the TB spacer? If you do, it is supposed to whistle according to the manufacturer.
Nope, just the AEM intake. Anyone with the K&N intake system have this problem? I really think it's due to the open element filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi m95roadster,

Try this: Pucker your lips and suck in with great force! :lol: This is the same sort of dynamics involved with a conical air filter. It is a normal feature and also has been associated the sound of an opening waste gate on a turbo-charged motor.

Enjoy your AEM intake and report back to us regarding it's features and perfomance over the stock air box setup. I have slightly modded my stock air box,but haven't decided which after-market setup to get in light of being subjected to Calif. visual smog inspections. I want the max air flow but not the need to switch it out for the stock box just to pass smog!

Enjoy,
Lonerider

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lonerider said:
Hi m95roadster,

Try this: Pucker your lips and suck in with great force! :lol: This is the same sort of dynamics involved with a conical air filter. It is a normal feature and also has been associated the sound of an opening waste gate on a turbo-charged motor.

Enjoy your AEM intake and report back to us regarding it's features and perfomance over the stock air box setup. I have slightly modded my stock air box,but haven't decided which after-market setup to get in light of being subjected to Calif. visual smog inspections. I want the max air flow but not the need to switch it out for the stock box just to pass smog!

Enjoy,
Lonerider
Lonerider,
I understand completely what you're saying, but this only happens on light throttle conditions and it's not the whoooosh (sucking) sounds associated with a high flow intake. Anyways, I figured out the stock system also makes the same noise by doing the following test: I replaced the factory airbox, but I put a big hole in it so the muffling characteristics would not work. Guess what? I hear the same exact whistling sound under light throttle conditions. Apparently, this is inherent in the titans, well at least in mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Again m95roadster,

Ok, I see what you mean. Can you desribe the sound or pitch of the whistling? Is it the sound of an actual metal body whistle blown lightly or the metallic vibration type of metel to metal? Is it speed or rpm sensitive regardless of what gear you are in? Try the maual shift mode to hold the rpm and varies speeds constant.

Have you notice the sound since day one or after one of your mods? Have you test driven a new Titan to see if other trucks make that same sound?

I have installed a Banks Exhaust and running boards on the same day a while ago and have 'noticed' a whistle or rattle right at about 1600rpm to about 1900 rpm. My first guess is an exhaust gasket leak,but it also could be a loose washer in the running boards somewhere as this is also the rpm range of exhaust drone(ie. vibration)!

Any thoughts or observations on your part?

Lonerider

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lonerider said:
Hi Again m95roadster,

Ok, I see what you mean. Can you desribe the sound or pitch of the whistling? Is it the sound of an actual metal body whistle blown lightly or the metallic vibration type of metel to metal? Is it speed or rpm sensitive regardless of what gear you are in? Try the maual shift mode to hold the rpm and varies speeds constant.

Have you notice the sound since day one or after one of your mods? Have you test driven a new Titan to see if other trucks make that same sound?

I have installed a Banks Exhaust and running boards on the same day a while ago and have 'noticed' a whistle or rattle right at about 1600rpm to about 1900 rpm. My first guess is an exhaust gasket leak,but it also could be a loose washer in the running boards somewhere as this is also the rpm range of exhaust drone(ie. vibration)!

Any thoughts or observations on your part?

Lonerider
Hey Lonerider,

It is definitely a whistle sound produced by the intake tract that you can hear when using an open element design filter. Playing with the throttle makes it go away (if you give more gas). It is the vacuum. Similar to when you give gas on turbo vehicle, but not enough to where it's producing boost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts